elektron machinedrum + ableton sync

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Opuswerk wrote:
4am wrote:have you the las OS version installed on the MD?
this solved my problems...
I reckon this must have helped too, but i changed interface and studio setup at the same moment i updated, so i can't say for sure what helped the most.
I think this worked! the timing is better today after the update from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2. It didn't say anything about this in the update document though... anyways...

This squirrel <3's you.

The innerlock stuff still seems to be cool...
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

gosh wrote: It takes a short while to get working properly (correct levels/routing etc) but once done save as a template and then away you go. If you have DAW and you have external gear that has it’s own sequencer and you want to integrate the two it’s probably the best piece of kit you can buy. Seriously.
I'll look into that. I have a Machinedrum and Ableton and the sync (in either direction) is so shite that I generally just get by without it.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

i get best results with either just tempo-sync (no midi)

or just using the daw as the sequencer. i usually prefer this method since with automation you can essentially have 20 hands or knobs that arent even there
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

@hydrogen: yeah I'm beta testing the synclock 2 plugin for them and its great. The current synclock 1 vst requires you to use a small pedal to reset the clock after you hit stop on your daw. The new one takes care of that for you meaning true set and forget action. You can also do cool things with the sequencer to get syncopation and polyrhythms going. Being able to swing MIDI clock is ace too. It means no faffing about matching different machines swings......they all groove by the same amount.

It is relatively expensive. I bought mine from Schneider's laden in Berlin and they mates and my gf I dragged there couldn't believe how much I was spending on a clock! ! Think I paid around £250 although it was a while back. For me it was totally worth it. Why spend huge $ on drum machines and hardware sequencers if you then isolate them from th rest of your set up?

You can route the MIDI clock on using MIDI throughs but the more you do this the more latency you will add further down the line. To this end I use a motu MIDI express xt. I got it cheap second hand it its not only a great 8x8 USB MIDI hub but also an extensive MIDI router/ patchbay. I've set it up do clock is equally distributed to everything so I incur no additional latency but I coped without for a long time!
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

Edit. Double post.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

simonb wrote:
gosh wrote: It takes a short while to get working properly (correct levels/routing etc) but once done save as a template and then away you go. If you have DAW and you have external gear that has it’s own sequencer and you want to integrate the two it’s probably the best piece of kit you can buy. Seriously.
I'll look into that. I have a Machinedrum and Ableton and the sync (in either direction) is so shite that I generally just get by without it.
Why is it so bad? I link up my Tr707 to Ableton without problem.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

gosh wrote: You can route the MIDI clock on using MIDI throughs but the more you do this the more latency you will add further down the line. To this end I use a motu MIDI express xt. I got it cheap second hand it its not only a great 8x8 USB MIDI hub but also an extensive MIDI router/ patchbay. I've set it up do clock is equally distributed to everything so I incur no additional latency but I coped without for a long time!
sickness. thanks for sharing!

i'm not sure what machines you are running but i've also noticed my korg emx1 is delayed differently than the machinedrum... it would seem that you'd want one of these sync shift devices for that.
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

The Elektron midi interface hasn't worked really well for me, I've kept everything in sync wiith my sound card and Kenton pro 2000