big boo - our nameless character

- music
big boo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

big boo - our nameless character

Post by big boo »

well this is the first thing over 2 minutes i've ever made probably. before that was that thing i posted the other day, and before that i just messed around occasionally and made loops. but i want to get serious about this, so i've been really trying to work on sequencing, reading up on the theory of song progression and such, hoping it would help me out. mainly i just like making sounds. this isnt finished yet, i don't think, i was just wondering what you guys think about the sounds, the progression, how the progression could become more streamlined and solid. i welcome any criticism. i wanted to do a really dreamy and cerebral songy piece. my favorite music is artists like cocteau twins and such so :D i was thinking of recording an oboe/clarinet part or something too. im new to this. be easy on me ^_^

what do you all think? crap?

http://rapidshare.de/files/13215310/boo ... r.mp3.html
Semirk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Semirk »

Hey man,

I'm liking this, very good for a new producer. The thing that comes to my attention the most is a lacking of percussion. This is where you can add so much more to your track and give it an extra depth. And there are very little rules regarding it too. A change of note every now and again may also give the piece an extra twist also. I don't spot things too easily though so maybe someone else can help you more. One tip would be to maybe work a bit more on the variation, think of the changes you'd want as a listeners, the little unexpected twists and turns in a track.

Another point progression wise could be to add a note every now and again or change a note but keep one in the same place. Little things do wonders for overall progression and interest-keeping.

Hope this helps and I ain't talking crap, good stuff though mate. :)
big boo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by big boo »

yes i will add some more percussion!

maybe some djembe or bongo
or maybe i will beat on some things with forks! :D

thanks
big boo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by big boo »

you're right though about it needing some variation, i was trying to make it hypnotizing and dreamy, but it gets a bit redundant at like 2:40/mid-track, so maybe i will put an overlaying melody, maybe some mid range, i dunno. and ill tighten it up a bit.