- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

::BLM:: wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Themis wrote:
Why plaster the Internet with files? Who finds that valuable anymore? Imagine an incredible piece of music available only once — on dubplate. Or let’s consider falling back in history — music only in the presence of its creator. No release. Come to the concert. Enthusiasm will be back when you get this feeling of attending something really special. How to create this feeling for the audience is the core task of the creatives, if they deserve that name.
thats exactly what all these digital guys said was so elitist behavior, and music should be available to anyone, everywhere, good music is still good music even if its all over the internet .. bla bla

now beatport is mainstream and mainstream is bad, i cannot stop laughing
I'm not surprised that you pick out these 2-3 lines out of the whole article and use it to bash the digital labels/artists/etc. The thing is, that no one can stop the internet, so I'm surprised you use all your energy being so negative. Oh well.

It's a very interesting read, and he is so spot on with everything he writes, including numbers etc.
good music is still good music yes, but the internet has definitely changed the way people value music.
of course
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

That was a great read.

This is the main problem im facing.
Usually people argue there will have to be some sort of day job then. As aforementioned, that would be perfectly fine if being occupied all day with something not relevant to music didn’t actively hinder you from devoting yourself to developing your artistic edge. Your mind will be occupied with other stuff instead of exploring the areas of sound where it gets deep. To be able to create stuff that outlasts two weeks, you’ll need to go full time at some point.
It's almost impossible for me to concentrate right now on making music. I only have some free hours during the night (I have to play music a low volumes) and the weekend, but I can't force creativity. It just happens, and sometimes you need to recreate some kind of atmosphere or being in the right modd in order to accomplish something decent. And it also doesnt help being tired from the day job and counting the hours left before going to bed.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Good read
soapz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by soapz »

blizt wrote:That was a great read.

Usually people argue there will have to be some sort of day job then. As aforementioned, that would be perfectly fine if being occupied all day with something not relevant to music didn’t actively hinder you from devoting yourself to developing your artistic edge. Your mind will be occupied with other stuff instead of exploring the areas of sound where it gets deep. To be able to create stuff that outlasts two weeks, you’ll need to go full time at some point.
It's almost impossible for me to concentrate right now on making music. I only have some free hours during the night (I have to play music a low volumes) and the weekend, but I can't force creativity. It just happens, and sometimes you need to recreate some kind of atmosphere or being in the right modd in order to accomplish something decent. And it also doesnt help being tired from the day job and counting the hours left before going to bed.
I have had this for many years.. My plan.. working solid for the next 6 months (already one month in hard but will be worth it - 40hrs per week) save lots of money. Move to thailand. Live for 3euros per night.. Be unemployed for up to 3 years on the money Ive saved and not struggle for money. Produce music will all the time in the world. - With beautiful places to visit for inspiration aswell haha. Not sure if will work but we shall see... :D
Roy Koch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Roy Koch »

soapz wrote:
blizt wrote:That was a great read.

I have had this for many years.. My plan.. working solid for the next 6 months (already one month in hard but will be worth it - 40hrs per week) save lots of money. Move to thailand. Live for 3euros per night.. Be unemployed for up to 3 years on the money Ive saved and not struggle for money. Produce music will all the time in the world. - With beautiful places to visit for inspiration aswell haha. Not sure if will work but we shall see... :D
Jus-Ed, DJ Qu, Fred P and I am sure many other awesome musicians have a full-time job.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah but full time jobs are different.

also it shouldnt be necessary to have a full time job, thats the point.

only cause some producers can manage their job and music, does not mean everyone can do it. lives are different, people are different.

for example, the great philosophers in greek 2000 years ago, wouldnt be that great if they had to work. they had slaves.

not that slavery is something good, but it is a prime example what a world without daily job could produce.
Last edited by Themis on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:yeah but full time jobs are different.

also it shouldnt be necessary to have a full time job, thats the point.

only cause some producers can manage their job and music, does not mean everyone can do it. lives are different, people are different.
Themis is right.
Of course it's possible, but surely not for everyone, far from.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

very good read, but I can't help to question Goldmann's thesis that
...if being occupied all day with something not relevant to music didn’t actively hinder you from devoting yourself to developing your artistic edge. Your mind will be occupied with other stuff instead of exploring the areas of sound where it gets deep. To be able to create stuff that outlasts two weeks, you’ll need to go full time at some point.
Surely, agreement was reached that people are different and lives are different, so is it really a given that you need to devote full time (40 hours/week) to music and only music to create something that outlasts two weeks?

But I can't understand why there is such a struggle amongst producers to earn a living on their music (their Hobby!) Everyone wants to make a living on their hobby these days, and that's a major problem that few people even acknowledge.

It's like the general dogm these days is that if can't plow this or that many hours into music then you just can't be the Tiger Woods of electronic music. Or any other genre for that reason.

I'm not programming synths and basslines because I want money, but because it sounds good to me and it's fun, and I am sure that 99% of the people on this board feels exactly the same way. It's the love for the music. I mean, I wasn't very old when I first realised that "hey, playing with Lego all day isn't really a realistic scenario...", so therefor I'm not really nursing any unrealistic dreams of ever supporting a family solely by my exaggerated love for bleeps and blops.

People with ambition and the slightest bit of wit will always find ways to make money purely for the sake of money, and quite often you can hear a shadow of that in today's music. Music is a luxury, a rewarding past time, and that concept seems to have been forgotten by now

[/i]