How to sound better in mono?

- ask away
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How to sound better in mono?

Post by Toloache »

Hello fellow mnmalers out there. I lurk the forum a lot and i have a question that doesn't seem to be discussed a lot here.

It's a while im involved experimenting with stereo panoram of my tracks.
In the project im working now, i have those 3 percussive tracks covering the mids and high mids, ranging from 400-500 to 8000 hz.

In those tracks lot of moderately short reverb (80-100% dry signal routed to a modified ballroom reverb) is used, more like an effect to give the percussions a wet watery sound than to give ambience.

To clear the muddines, percussion 1 is panned at 2h L, perc 2 at 2,5 h R and perc 3 at 3h R. The utiliy plugin is used to reduce width to 25-50% to make space for the reverb. Dry signal is M/S equalized on the S removing low mid and adding some higs at 8k to give sound more openess, and left/right equalized removing some low and higs from the right or left channel respectively to make the panning more effective.

The reverb are 3 flavour of the same ballroom reverb tweaked in respect to the distance of dry signal, panned about at - 1h from the respective dry signal, with 20-40% utiliy width and M/S L/R equalized in a more aggressive manner.

So far so good, the sound is open and not mud.. But how to maintain this same clear sound when summing to mono, given that the S part of equalization phase cancelling itself and the panning is not very effective?

can someone share some tricks? thanks
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

there is no specific way.
it depends on what problems occurs when you sum it to mono.

of course it wont sound as open when compared to stereo, but what else happens when you sum it to mono?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

why are you summing to mono?
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

tone-def wrote:why are you summing to mono?
if a club has a system in mono or radio broadcast in mono you should make sure your track will sound good also in mono.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Stomper wrote:
if a club has a system in mono or radio broadcast in mono you should make sure your track will sound good also in mono.
do they still have mono systems in clubs? all the legit radio stations in the UK at least will stop transmitting analogue radio next year. i imagine all the pirates will stay on FM which is stereo.
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

there is no specific way.
it depends on what problems occurs when you sum it to mono.

of course it wont sound as open when compared to stereo, but what else happens when you sum it to mono?
Well i know this is dumb but.. things sound too mono lol :)

I mean i can hear all the different sound, but they obviously become less clear because there is some overlapping of frequencies.. You cant hear all that fancy mid side and left right eq and from what i understand, panning translate only in -level when summed to mono.

So i was wondering if there is some other tecnique to maintain the stereo illusion even when summed. For example i know we can give the illusion of stereo even with pan center delaying and equing the L or R channel of a sound but this also doesnt translate well to mono.

i suppose the only way to avoid mud and overlapping is arrangement then?
why are you summing to mono?
I believe it's best to sound good in stereo and also in mono to ensure maximum compatibility. Indeed there are PA that still use only mono!
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

tone-def wrote:
Stomper wrote:
do they still have mono systems in clubs? all the legit radio stations in the UK at least will stop transmitting analogue radio next year. i imagine all the pirates will stay on FM which is stereo.
The online station I do a show on broadcasts in mono (half the bandwidth, no-brainer really), I imagine it's not the only one.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

The only reason i ever sum to mono is to narrow down a phasing problem. most of the time i can pick out a phase problem in stereo though.