[US] 05.06.11 Simon Baker @ Sunset Lounge (Dallas)

any
sounds_like
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

[US] 05.06.11 Simon Baker @ Sunset Lounge (Dallas)

Post by sounds_like »

Simon Baker - Traces Album Tour (UK)
Get Physical / Cocoon / 2020 Vision
http://www.airlondonmusic.com/
http://www.myspace.com/simonbakerinfantrecords

Simon Baker has played an influential part of the UK house and techno scene for the better part of the last decade. He is an artist that generates his own musical trail through a stand out style, which is purely his own and always current. With tracks on pioneering labels such as Cocoon and Playhouse, he has stamped his dextrous musical talent upon the far reaches of the globe.

This year marks the release of his highly anticipated debut artist album ‘Traces’ on his home label of 2020 Vision. The album effortlessly balances Simon’s trademark club tracks with a more musical, refined sound that has been developing steadily over his past releases. Simon kicked off his worldwide tour in January to mark the release of the album.

Outside of his demanding DJ schedule, his tracks have been turning heads since his musical production career began in 2004 with ‘The Liptrick’. Simon regularly features in end of year charts, with breakthrough release ‘Plastik’ being voted #4 in Resident Advisor’s prestigious single of the year 2007 poll, and two original productions in iTunes Best of 2009 run down. His remixes are equally defined and sought after, such as his rework of Radio Slave ‘ Bell Clap Dance’, Timo Maas ‘Bite the Dust’ and a collaboration with Jamie Jones, ‘Stop Space Return’.

Support By:
DragonLazer
SOUNDSLIKE
http://www.sounds-like.org/

*****New Venue Info*****
Due to unforeseen circumstances the event will now be held at Sunset Lounge. Please take note of the updates below:

9PM - 2AM
21+ with Valid ID
No Ins & Outs
Drink Specials all night
Limited capacity: Arrive early to guarantee entry!

Sunset Lounge
3030 Ross Ave.
Dallas, TX
http://www.sunset-lounge.com
*****New Venue Info*****

$7 Limited Pre-Sales, $10 Door
Pre-Sales available at http://www.residentadvisor.net/soundslike

Celebrating birthdays for Adriana & Littlz
Last edited by sounds_like on Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
sounds_like
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sounds_like »

Simon Bakers debut album “Traces” proves that he is one of the bigger players in the world of house and trance music. As soon as you listen to this album you know its from the heart, the true roots where music should come from. He wanted to wait till it felt right to make an album, and that waiting paid off. He spared nothing when it comes to this album. From soothing vocals, to soulful beats, to rich instruments, this album is truly one of a kind. Simon has made an album that will touch you, lift you up, and it will change you. He has set his standard for house music very high. There is no doubt in my mind that you will be hearing a lot more from him. The only thing he leaves you with is the question, what will this amazing artist do next?

First off Simon, congratulations! How does it feel to finally have your debut album being released?
Thanks …..Really amazing, and also very satisfying to have made an album I think I can be very proud of.

What made you feel that the time was right to make this wonderful album?
I do things when they feel right naturally. I feel I have the experience now to put an album together that isn't just straight club tracks. I wanted it to represent me and my years in this music scene and show my more musical side. Hopefully this shows in the direction I have taken in the album.

This is obviously only the beginning for you in terms of your own albums, what else do you have in the works?
I am presently just working on EP’s for other labels and also some more collaborations in the pipeline. Album number two I will think about much later. Its been a long journey with this one and I need to think about something else for the time being. I am also pretty busy touring, so I have plenty going on for now.

What was the biggest influence when it came to producing this album?
I like to take inspiration from all kinds of sources whether it be music, people, or subject matter around me. I try not to name certain artists who inspired me, as I am inspired hugely by the different feelings and different sounds all music offers me. The album represents me and my life journey through house music ever since I picked up The Best Of House Vol3 on vinyl when I was 16 years old! (I am now 36) That’s what changed my life!

What's one song on your album that you think really reflects you?
I Think they all represent me in one way or another, but ill go with Grey Area, because I was in a big Grey Area while chasing the music pipe dream, very unsure where my life was going and whether I would have to take a full time job again, also the track Think! Just because very much the thinker! I can think my way in and out of things in a flash without even doing anything. I have a busy mind usually, which can be a good thing.

Tell me where the name of the album “Traces” came from.
The album title is basically is about me tracing back my life and tracing the path I have taken to get to where I am now. My story involves me leaving my full time secure job and selling my house to chase this particular career path. Traces are like faint imprints in my memory.

Did you plan much of the album out? or did it just come to you naturally in the studio?
Well firstly, I loved every minute. My favourite past time in the world is to sit in the studio and come up with new ideas. It was written over the space of a year. There is 1 track on there written more than a year ago, but most of it is 12 months old or newer. I changed the way I worked with the album by having less thoughts on the dance floor and just letting my creative juices flow naturally. I loved working in this way.

Do you remember the first show you ever played? Tell me how you felt back then, compared to when you play now.

Yes, as clear as yesterday, it was a fill in for a DJ who had not showed at a bar in my home town of Leeds. I had been djing for many years before this but only in my bedroom, never in front of 200 people, so It as kinda nerve racking, but I pulled it off and they gave me a weekly residency in the bar. It all started there really. These days I have much more confidence and usually play to bigger crowds, but still have just as much passion and dedication as I did that very first night.

Tell me about the earlier years in your career, what were the most important things that you learned?
I would play bars and local clubs mainly, it snowballed really, then the production took off. I probably learnt how to work with different crowds and that the same set 2 nights running can not always be the same vibe. You have to know how to work with the people , club and atmosphere.

Do you have any DJ's that you mentor? Who has been your biggest mentor?
Hmm, well I took Burnski on at a young age on my old label Infant records. I guess I kind of took him under my/our wing, but he didn’t need much mentoring as he was a massive talent from the start.

If you were in a different industry, do you think people would still view you the same, or differently?

Interesting question, I think I am a very down to earth person, so I would be exactly the same to my friends and to the people who know me, but I guess I wouldn’t have as many “friends” on Facebook if I was still working in my old Insurance job of 10 years ago! Put it that way!

Source: http://www.megamindmagazine.com/intervi ... mon-baker/
sounds_like
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sounds_like »

BnB Review: Simon Baker - Traces

Written by Youri Jozee
Simon Baker recently dropped his new album Traces on the mighty 2020Vision label. Here’s what we think of the man’s latest outing…

With acclaimed releases on Playhouse, Cocoon and Get Physical, Simon Baker is lauded for his warm, soulful house tunage that always seems to have a subtle nod to the past without taking this over the edge. “I do things when they feel right naturally. I feel now is my time” said Simon of Traces, “I have the experience now to put an album together that isn't just straight club tracks. I wanted it to represent me, my years in this music and show my more musical side. This shows in the direction I have taken in the album.”
Traces has become a very musical affair remarked by delicacy and emotion, with 11 tracks that drift from pure club tunes to sofa-flavored cuts.

The album opens with No Pressure, a quirky piece of ecstatic tech house that refers to the early 90s Chicago sounds and includes some very nice vocal work. After this lovely introduction, the LP continues with tracks that hold a perfect balance between oldschool house and contemporary compositions such as the playful Grey Area, the supercool Let Me In (a track that sounds deceivingly basic, yet is made up from well programmed elements with a special mention of the ingenious drum structures), and the glowing strings in Dead Air. Near the end, we are treated to a more stomping kick on Traces, after which the album closes with the beautiful, slo-mo house on Olek, a tune so subtle, emotive and laidback that we found ourselves playing it over and over again after a hard day’s work.

Our verdict:
With Traces, Simon Baker delivers an album that manages to mix elements from 20 years of (Chicao and Detroit), house and techno into a mesmerizing longplayer. Whereas many producers tend to go over the top, Simon Baker convincingly manages to avoid the pitfalls of house nostalgia by delivering an album that sounds very credibly and refreshing at the same time. Praise where praise is due: Traces is one of the best albums available in the house genre today.

Stand out tracks: Let Me In, Dead Air, Olek
Weak moments: none

Rating: 8.5/10
Label: 2020Vision
Release date: Out Now

Source: http://www.beatsandbeyond.com/Album-rev ... races.html
sounds_like
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sounds_like »

There are a few $7 pre-sales still left at http://www.residentadvisor.net/soundslike Snag them while you can!
sounds_like
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sounds_like »

21 Sauces of Inspiration - SIMON BAKER

Simon Baker steps up to the plate for our latest 21 Sauces. Take a listen to perhaps his best known track below before finding out what the British based house and techno producer listens to when he is jogging, his favourite clubs and what his rather humorous ring tone is.

1. What gets you going in the morning?
Coffee and a run usually, but this week I am away snowboarding in the alps, so I am presently looking out at the mountain and that is a huge get up and go for me - hang over or not!

2. What five records would you take to a desert island?

I always struggle with this - five is nowhere near enough, but I would get by for a few days on these off the top of my head.
David Axelrod – Holy Thursday
Frankie Knuckles – Tears
Eurythmics – Here Comes The Rain Again
The Cure – Lullaby (Extended mix)
Chicago - If You Leave Me Now (This is my funeral tune. I would expect I might need this.)

3. What inspires you to create?
It’s a very hard thing to explain how I actually create music really and so it’s a pretty tough question for me to answer, but what I can say is that one of the inspirations to carry this on is partly to do with the fact I had a 9-5 office job for 10 years that I completely hated, and now I am doing something I could only ever have dreamt of many years ago. When I wake up every day I just think I am in a lucky place.

4. What book or piece of literature are you reading at the moment?
Cormac McCarthy – The Road

5. Favorite piece of literature and why?
I recently really enjoyed Shantaram after reading, I also listened to it as an audio book while training for a half marathon and it really helped get through those miles. Loved it

6. Favorite club?
Fabric London , Mint Club Leeds

7. Which historical figure inspires you or would you like to meet?
Che Guevara, Albert Einstein, Guy Fawkes. We can all go for dinner and then onto to a club.

8. List five movies that you couldn’t live without?

Life Of Brian, Inglourious Basterds, Trainspotting, Star Wars, Apocalypse Now

9. Favorite director or actor?
Stanley Kubrick

10. Favorite piece of architecture or building?

Eiffel Tower in Paris or Blackpool Tower in the UK. I can’t decide.

11. Favorite combination of food or recipe?
Anything hot and spicy really. I’m a huge chili freak.

12. Favorite musical genre in the last 100 years and what would you mix it with if you could?
Definitely House and techno music …… with style of course.

13. Favorite Internet site?
BBC iplayer

14. Who has had the biggest influence on you in your life?
I don’t have a stand out person or thing that has influenced me. I am influenced by too many things, events and people throughout my life.

15. What is one record you should never be seen dancing to in a club?

John Cage "4'33" (an amazing piece of……errm……. Silence?).

16. Favorite 5 music artists currently listening to?
James Blake
A Mountain Of One
Gayngs
Maceo Plex
Peter Broderick

17. Favorite piece of art or artist and why?
Si Scott, he did the cover for my album. We were lucky to have him. An amazing contemporary artist.

18. Artist you’d most like to collaborate with?
John Cage. (I like to get my own way!)

19. One obscure band / artist you think should be more popular?
Circle Square.

20. What’s your ringtone?
John Cage “4.33”.

21. Do you have a favourite sauce?

Chili. Hot hot hot.

http://www.electronicbeats.net/Music/Co ... imon-Baker
sounds_like
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sounds_like »

*****New Venue Info*****
Due to unforeseen circumstances the event will now be held at Sunset Lounge. Please take note of the updates below:

9PM - 2AM
21+ with Valid ID
No Ins & Outs
Drink Specials all night
Limited capacity: Arrive early to guarantee entry!

Sunset Lounge
3030 Ross Ave.
Dallas, TX
http://www.sunset-lounge.com
*****New Venue Info*****
sounds_like
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sounds_like »

sounds_like
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sounds_like »

Drink specials for tomorrow night...$5 Jack Daniels, $5 Finlandia Vodka, $5 any Beer, $5 Tequila shots & $5 shots (bartender's pick)