mnml maxi

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by roland »

Boxbeat
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Boxbeat »

I loved vinyl and it gives me find memories of friends getting together for a mix and great times. They do sound amazing compared to vinyl but does anyone actually care apart from us what format it's played on?

I spent years carrying around stacks of vinyl but I had no other option now I carry a laptop and a sound card and am not left wandering why that track I think would go down well at wat the party is at home.

Things have moved on I personally now have a stack of vinyl that I have got non idea what to do with so it's all in the loft although I do dust it off now and again to reminisce about the good times.

The things that remains are the great memories and that is all that will endure over time.

Boxbeat
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

yes but a very high percentage of top DJs in the techno, House and Bass music scene are still very much vinyl DJs.

these are the guys who are doing the gigs and keeping our scene alive.

95% of the DJs playing at the electronic music festival i organise are vinyl guys, and i dont choose them because they are vinyl guys, thats just how it works out.

dont fool yourself into thinking vinyl is a thing of the past, at the top of the tree, vinyl still rules.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

dont fool yourself into thinking vinyl is a thing of the past, at the top of the tree, vinyl still rules.
thats great to hear, I just really hope venues keep well serviced decks in venues. Now that technics have stopped I have my doubts. Hopefully I am wrong.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

jackbrazzo wrote:
thats great to hear, I just really hope venues keep well serviced decks in venues. Now that technics have stopped I have my doubts. Hopefully I am wrong.
no way man, there's enough technics on the planet to last a thousand years. if clubs dont have technics, you're going to the wrong clubs.

they said the same thing about neumann cutting lathes, not sure when they stopped making them, but must have been at least 30 or 40 years ago
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

steevio wrote:yes but a very high percentage of top DJs in the techno, House and Bass music scene are still very much vinyl DJs.

these are the guys who are doing the gigs and keeping our scene alive.

95% of the DJs playing at the electronic music festival i organise are vinyl guys, and i dont choose them because they are vinyl guys, thats just how it works out.

its the same at delete. i'm the only one who plays CD's and that's only for the tracks i've made. normally 1 CDJ is all we have, sometimes we don't even have that.
we're only had 2 laptop DJ in 6 years and one of those (Joe Ellis) is 100% vinyl now.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote: we're only had 2 laptop DJ in 6 years and one of those (Joe Ellis) is 100% vinyl now.
joe only used a laptop for about one year, apart from that he's been 100 % vinyl since i met him 13 years ago
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i think people realise slowly that in spite of the hawtin argument "it gives you unlimited possibilities", they do nothing more than mixing 2 tracks.

so after some time it looked a bit ridiculous, the whole setup with laptop, controler, audio card, 15 cables and 30 minutes were nothing is working as it should only to play the same thing in a worse kind of fashion as the vinyl dj before.

everytime i go to a gig and a dj plays after me and begins 20 minutes to install his equipment, i think to myself this will never prevail over vinyl, not even cds.