Around which main sounds do you build the mix?

- ask away
kevin h
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kevin h »

i think the most important frequency for minimal is between 40-200hz, this is the range that gives punch and definition. you can put a lot of volume in this range. but it is a very delicate range.

tip 1. dont make snares and cymbals too loud

tip 2. roll off the bass freq around 30hz

tip 3. roll off the highs around 16khz

tip 4. use the best outboard eq's and compressors for mastering you can afford, you have to have a very trained ear for mastering. if you've only been into making music for a short time, pay someone else to do it :wink:

if you cant afford outboard mastering gear, you can use iZotope Ozone, T-racks or piece together your fav plugins.

hope to help
k
bawww..........beep-beep
Texture
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Texture »

yeah, overall there isnt any one true answer, you just have to really develop your ear to get the production's you want too. Of course there is all the technical stuff, roll off here, roll off there, but its not always going to work for every track. Ive heard tracks with no bassline at all to roll off to 30, 40, 50 etc etc and still the track's rock on

in the words of the great joe meek - "if it sounds right, it is right"
Klickhaus record 01 - Texture "Registry Check ep" - Original, remixes from Tim Xavier and Camea - Out now at http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/212 ... ht=texture

also at Beatport and other good record stores
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Texture wrote:
in the words of the great joe meek - "if it sounds right, it is right"

haven't heard that name in ages man! hear, hear!
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Texture
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Texture »

haha, "I hear a new world" get's daily plays in this household, true legend, if a bit bizarre

his range of effects are pretty nifty aswell
Klickhaus record 01 - Texture "Registry Check ep" - Original, remixes from Tim Xavier and Camea - Out now at http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/212 ... ht=texture

also at Beatport and other good record stores
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kenada wrote:it all depends on the track. im not trying to skirt the answer here, it's just the truth.

some tracks are very bassline driven, other tracks may have a tribal drum hook, theres no one answer.
i think this is the most important statement here, i dont think i've ever built two tracks the same way, in fact i go out of my way to avoid doing that.
but if you stick to the general principles of sound engineering that various people have mentioned here, you cant go far wrong.

its worth being careful when you cut frequencies at the top and bottom of the spectrum, because that will allow other frequencies to 'breath' and the whole balance of the spectrum will change.
one more thing, if you are planning a vinyl release, remember that the cutting engineer will be filtering out most of the frequencies below 25HZ, and mono-ing the bass.