haters.

- open
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

shypht wrote:
Rich wrote:I've never seen him, but I've heard that he has a huge ego and an unusual skill for emptying a dancefloor....
I disagree. I heard him back in Dec, and it rocked it - couldnt peel myself away from the dancefloor even if I tried.

But, I find alot of people accuse minimal as being 'trendy'. If minimal was as big and trendy as people say it is - where the hell are the minimal parties? I'd LOVE it if it was bigger than it is right now, as then maybe I'd be able to go out to a descent venue, with a good crowd and alot of people up and dancing. But house, trance, top-40 and hard/banging-techno are the only things that ever seem to get any kind of attention over here.

Not a small venue with 10 people and nobody dancing.

I agree 100%
the internet DID make alot of false hype- if there was so much popularity w/minimal- where are the cellphone ads with minimal in the ring tones- where are the minimal radio stations on the air-where are all the crowds for minimal nights/parties?
I think that within the electronic community there was a buzz about miinimal music- alot of people that weren't into it before but were into other forms of EDM suddenly were fans of the music- but as far as the crowds (here in the US anyhow) there are still very few people at these minimal nights- (I'm guilty of being @ more Deep House nights than minimal nights- it's kinda more fun to be @ a place where there are more than 5 girls @ it and they aren't all artsy and weird.)

I think the internet is creating alot of false hype for it. Yes, minimal is great - I love it, but I dont think its as big and trendy as people say it is.

About the only time you'll see a big turnout for a minimal party here, is if Hawtin is on the flyer.
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

I live in the House- & Micro-House lives in me.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

minimal is just very minimal...
mayzee
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mayzee »

The Remix wrote:I'm guilty of being @ more Deep House nights than minimal nights- it's kinda more fun to be @ a place where there are more than 5 girls @ it and they aren't all artsy and weird.
depends if you like weird artsy girls or not...

;)
leeism
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by leeism »

I write a 'minimal' reviews page for a fairly well known DJ magazine here in the UK, and am constantly having the piss taken out of me by mates for the whole scarves and wine thing. Whatever. I can sometimes see their point though - even to people who love techno, or house, or electronica, contemporary minimal can maybe sound (to them) a bit contrived, regurgitative and devoid of 'soul'. Fair enough. Their loss.

Re. Derrick May - when he came to play for us last year, he was easily one of the most charismatic, enthusiastic, friendly and genuinely interested 'major' DJ I've met (and I've met most of 'em). As soon as he got off his 11 hour flight, he was bursting with energy, wanting to meet all our friends, and taking a genuine interest in our lives. So he doesn't like minimal? Oh dear. Ego? Well, yeah. He pioneered the sound we're sitting here talking about. Diva? I'm sure he can be. The guy's Derrick May - what do you expect?!

Anyone who replies 'I expect him to turn up at gigs' should perhaps be firing their complaints at his agents btw...
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

The Remix wrote:more than 5 girls @ it and they aren't all artsy and weird.
lol
ok, then i should be quite happy living here where i'm living :) Not much weird girls @ partys. Maybe a just a bit artsy, but i'm artsy so it's ok.

and about the wine and scarf thing - I don't drink wine (like I drink vodka for an example lolz) and I don't wear scarf unless I totally need to (cold)

and everybody hate something. Thats that.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

leeism wrote: Anyone who replies 'I expect him to turn up at gigs' should perhaps be firing their complaints at his agents btw...
or shady promoters... we know anyone can write anyones name on the flyer.
freeeeeee
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

s weird, 've seen many sub-genres slagged, praised, slagged again, praised.

Fickle fickle fickle, and a lot of the hype comes I guess from journalists and PR people with a vested interest in grabbing folks attention in "the new craze'

Look at that freakin sudoku or whatever over in the UK just now.

it's just a japanese game, in the UK we have many great games, so why the hype, cos someone wants to make a fast buck that's why, and soon, there will be a backlash when everyone is bored, or when the UK games industry wants to kill it off so they can sell more monopoly or summat.

It's rubbish that the folk behind the actual scenes in question have to bear the brunt of this sort of thing. Look what happened to Trance, Labworks, Platipus, Rising High, Harthouse etc etc, I mean look at the name harthouse - Hard House !!! Now look at what represents Hard house !! but yeah back to the trance thing, it used to mean just that - hypnotic music to trance out to, exactly what I see as being minimal music these days !! waht's even weirder is that the so called minimal that is getting slagged - ain't even that minimal if you look logically, minimal music is exactly that - rythym and sounds older work without the vocals is minimal, DBX - losing control is minimal, plastikman is minimal. Ricardo Villalobos's epic, 'real instrument' soaked, full of busy rythym and edits is not minimal, good as it is. likewise, Akufen's music is not minimal either, micro house in general is not minimal, sutekh is not minimal etc etc. So even thought folk that are posting here for example may well be into that sound and may lump it all together as minimal, it's not really, it's all just different shades of techno and house styles, minimal, micro house, tech house - whatever.

So yeah, it's all just a bunch of emporers new clothes I guess and I reckon the best way to avoid such stuff is to rise above being pidgeonholed and ignore the haters,, problem is - all the PR people and Journalists seem to have to do that whole pidgeonholing- and I can understand why - If they can't describe it - they can't sell it.

But yeah - the 'haters' are silly people and inadvertantly causing this sort of thing to perpetuate, and also , a lot of them don't even know what they are hating, the same people who say they hate trance have probably listened to a form of it for years without even knowing, same with minimal, same with everything else, the definitions are not concrete and subject to frequent change, so it occurs to me that most of these haters are just uninformed suposed muso's with no time for anything other than what their screwed up code tells them they are allowed to like and aren't more fool them I say !! But being fair - they probably don't have many friends :)

I say music is music, it's either good or bad.

Also, the situation is getting much worse, with more people getting on the production bandwagon for reasons you've probably all talked to death already, more people are joining in and wanting to retain their individuality, as this happens, folk start to think - well, I'll just call it this and it will be different, hence : breaknoisepowercore or whatever, this means more and more sub-scenes as folk try to whittle it down to their own little niche.

I do think this is somewhat damaging in a way, because it means that the scene is becoming more fragmented than I ever thought possible, DJ's in a lot of clubs tend to impose rules on what they play a lot more to reflect certain styles, and clubs are tending to be less open minded about what guests they book due to stuff like this, meaning lots of little clubs and parties all playing their own thing, this means parties get busted more, and it means that nightclubs won't support nights like this so much as it tends to draw a smaller crowd.

The majors/pop industry don't have this hassle as they don't try to break it down so much and you know what they say :

Divide and Conquer !! Would you rather have one really cool club that plays everything from minimal thru breaks, into hard techno, then hardtek (shudders at the use of the word) but has 5K folk, with the DJ's getting paid fairly etc and the majority having a good night, or would you rather just lots of little individual nights struggling against the tide of commercial shite ! Generally folks Ego's here tend to steer them to the little club struggling way here I guess. In Edinburgh - it's meant that half of our clubs are now closing , much to the happiness of our local councilers, and I can't help but think that we brought it on ourselves by the lack of co-operation, If we'd stuck together and held a common, powerfull voice, I think things would have been different, but hey - we have a history of that in Scotland, look at the way we ganged up on the English.....NOT.

It's a shame because I had hoped many years ago that folk in the underground scene would be more supportive to each other and would generally be more open minded, obviously not, and If I'm honest - I've always found that to be the case.

Anyway - sorry for the longwinded ramble, this is something I've been a little depressed about of late,which was compounded by folk slagging off Ryan Crossan on another forum I post on, by people who would probably love his stuff if it was released on UR hailing it as a new direction for them or summat (and that ain't a diss at UR, just an example)

If the battle lines have to be drawn - I'm on the side of the 'minimal' lot tho :) heh heh

And if we need to fight anybody, then I'll happily bore them to death with tedious rants about the scene !!
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

it's like many things on the market
when you change the packaging, people perceive as something new, whereas it's actually still the same

and add some clever marketing and people will swallow

it's not about what is or is not, it's about what people are tricked into believing what is or is not