A message from Mad Mike..........

- open
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

(*Totally off topic* - Dsat, I just re-read "Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. I read it the first time maybe 10 years ago, and read it again a couple of weeks' back. Still just as fresh, and just as meaningful. Nice to see your quote mate).
adhesif
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: A message from Mad Mike..........

Post by adhesif »

Torque wrote:Mike wanted me to spread the word, so here goes:

Troops your services are required. Juan Atkins has been nominated as a writer as part of the song "Losing Control" by: Missy Elliot. Tell everybody you know that owes they're ass to Juan Atkins to vote for Missy Elliots "Losing Control" for best rap single. Lets show these motherfuckaz the power of what they cannot see......................... Mad Mike 040....................UR
i think this thread needs re starting !

i dont see people questioning richi hawtins underground credentials on here?, seen as hes writin the 'theme' music for the winter olympics ! :?
but i am reading someone gettin slated becoz there trak from back in the day gets picked up by missy elliot !
wots wrong with u guys?
'adventitious roots'
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Rich wrote:(*Totally off topic* - Dsat, I just re-read "Farenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. I read it the first time maybe 10 years ago, and read it again a couple of weeks' back. Still just as fresh, and just as meaningful. Nice to see your quote mate).
yeah i like these kind of books
brave new world, 1984, ... these books are now even more meaningfull
i was a literature nerd in my university years...
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

@ John
Thank you for finally taking the time to say what you're thinking because the posts before it made almost no attempt to explain what you were talking about. That's all i wanted to hear.

Let me clarify myself even further:

From the very first note of Karhienz Stockhausen to any minimal or other electronic music track, this music (Electronic music) has been so far ahead even the earliest tracks sound like they come from the year 3000.
Eminem was 99% right when he says "Nobody listens to Techno". Dance music only holds 1/100th of the US market (The largest music market in the world), and techno holds an even smaller peice of that, even beyond that Minimal Techno holds an even smaller peice than that. The carving out of that peice of the market for us all was set into motion by Juan Atkins. Why should there be anything other than props for Juan? Juans music is still played not because people refuse to let it go, it's still played because people still dance to it. Juan in many ways produced music that was so ahead of it's time that even new kids that hear the music for the first time are like "whoa, that's different, what is that music?". The music is still funky and people still shake their ass to it. Why are people so intent upon trying to devide up the scene into even smaller chunks because they think sounding like the year 3000 isn't good enough, they want to sound like 3001 and render all music before it useless. It's silly when you think about it. You make it sound like Detroit Techno is banging on a log out in the jungle while minimal techno has wires put into the producers brain to control ableton live by thought, it's insanity. WE ALL DO THE SAME THING. We all make music that people can dance to. We all have the same goal in mind. I say Juan is STILL an innovator because his music still sounds ahead of it's time. He earned that respect fair and square. If people like Ricardo, Richie or anyone else are truely making timeless music right now then history will show that in 20 years when people are still playing their tracks. If anybody in the future poo, poos on anything made before a certain sound without thinking about how it came to be in the first place then they will be taking away whatever legacy the artists that you love are trying to build now. It's an unhealthy way to view this music as a Dj or a producer. I don't happen to have that view, i don't give a fck when it was made. I'll spin "Kraftwerk - Numbers" into "Mathew Jonson - Decompression" or "Model 500 - No UFO's" into "Mathew Dear - Stealing Moves" any time of any day. You know why? Because that sh!t just fucking works. It doesn't matter to me what year it was made because it all sounds like some outerspace computer world funky sh!t, straight up. IT's ALL TECHNO and it never was or ever will be anything else. It all sounds like the future and it all moves asses and minds. The division of the scene at all into musical clicks is retarted to me. We all use the same equipment for the same purpose for the same ends. The division in the scene to me is a complete mystery because an awful lot of artists i talk to feel the same way i do about it. It's turning into a negative thing. Not only that, on the surface it doesn't look like a musical devide, in Detroit it's starting to look like a racial devide between artists because let's face it, the vast majority of Detroit Techno artists are black and the vast majority of Minimal artists are white. I pray to God that it's not something as silly as that. Because if it is then i'm caught right in the middle of it being one of only 3 white artists at submerge. So where did it come from then? The division doesn't seem to be with the artists that i'v talked to, it seems to only be alive in the scenes. Scenes fighting over tablescraps in a music market so small is getting silly. There is literally no danger of anybody being even able to sell out because the fact is that people aren't buying techno in general, it's just the damn truth. People in general just don't like techno if they did it wouldn't be techno anymore, it would be pop music. That's what makes the whole techno scene so special in the first place because, everybody in it has to be a little crazy, weird and unique to get wrapped up in it in the first place. IMO there are probably only around 500 truely GREAT timeless records in techno across all of it made in any year, even the sub-genres, but i'm extra picky so sue me :). Maybe i am a Techno purest but i don't confine it to one sub-genre of techno, to me THAT seems close minded and completely silly.

You still think that was talking AT people and not TO them? You're probably right. I didn't grow up with hippie parents. I think political correctness is for pussies that are afraid to say what they think. When i say anything or try to make any point i like to make exactly clear what i mean, not dance around the point in order to look like a nice guy. Anybody that actually knows me knows that i actually am a nice guy. If anybody wants to find that out for themselves i have no problems talking to them at all or i wouldn't make my contact info available. Next time just say what the fck you mean the first time clearly leaving no doubts and there would have been alot of web space cleared up for other users, because otherwise you might just come across sounding like a hater. Only bitches hate on things without any clear logic and i wouldn't want to mistake you for a bitch.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Finally a sincere and normal post with manners..

I'm sure in your world being hard and real are the (it) but I was just looking for manners.... ..thanks..

Online flexing is where it's at.. :!:
Last edited by John Clees on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music Junkie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Music Junkie »

The one thing I just can't seem to grasp is that Loose yourself is a RAP record so who cares. If it was a TECHNO song then I think it would make a difference. To me your saying vote for this because he did all these great things that have nothing to do with Missy Eliot, Rap, or Loose Yourself. Whether or not particular songs were sampled it doesn't matter it is a RAP song. Give him an award for his contribution to TECHNO than yes it is deserved but not for RAP song.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

Are you crazy, man? Juan Atkins started rap! Without Atkins, there would be no rap music!!!! Damn man, learn yo' rap history!!!

:wink:

(D-town in da house)
adhesif
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by adhesif »

Rich wrote:Are you crazy, man? Juan Atkins started rap! Without Atkins, there would be no rap music!!!! Damn man, learn yo' rap history!!!

:wink:

(D-town in da house)
yeh its like car crime and the city of liverpool !
they would be nothing without each other!!
'adventitious roots'