how to finish a song!?!?

- ask away
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

how to finish a song!?!?

Post by sohrab »

guys I had this big problem about finishing a track.
each time I come up with an idea I cant finish it properly to call it a "track".this really killing me and I know there is no exact solution for this!but I though maybe I can get some tips from other ones who experience this too.
well,help me please!!! :lol:
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

hard to answer

i finish songs that sound unfinished
:)

maybe set a goal?

sometimes i declare a song finished if I learned something from it...

sometimes you just know
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

once you start the track dont stop until its done...

this is advice i received from matthew dear about 3 years ago.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

From what I've learnt it's just a process thing, you can’t force something on yourself if you’re not ready for it, and you’ll do it naturally when you’re ready for it.

I generally just focus on little aspects to improve on, and like mlexicon said, sometimes I declare a song finished if I learned something from it...
acidman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by acidman »

once you start the track dont stop until its done.

Its true.
sohrab
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sohrab »

thanks guys :D
you're all right.
after all its a very personal thing and I know there is not a straight way.I think I need more practice and should be more patient
Ryszard Blvck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ryszard Blvck »

yea patience is important....i think you really need to find the best way to work.....i used to always work on tracks for days and not really get anywhere.....music can easily lose meaning this way.....personally i find it better to work quickly on the creative side....listen to your track and make notes on what you want to do with it, then go for it.....then step back from it for a day or so and begin working on mixing etc.......experimenting is great fun but i find you waste a lot of time this way while making no real progress.....everybody works differently tho.....as soon as you find a suitable routine to work in, you'll find much more consistency in your music.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

The thing i usually tell people is very blunt but it works 100% of the time. Quit whining about it and make a decision to finish the track. I'v noticed out there that there are a ton of people that say they produce but never finish anything.

Fact #1
If a track is not finished it's not a track, it's an idea.

I won't pretend like i'm 100% perfect when it comes to this because there have been many times i'v "finished" a track and re-visited it later to fix it up. Once that puppy goes to vinyl though, it's done forever so you gotta make sure it's something that you won't mind people digging out of the ground in 1000 years.

Fact #2
If a track is made and nobody hears it did it really exist?

I don't know, but you shouldn't be afraid to post them up on boards and get some critisism. Harsh critisism will force you to improve and there's no other way to find out what really connects with people. I started out by making a desision that i wanted to make electronic music and i decided that i would make it a regular thing to show my stuff to everybody i could find at any given time and wwhen i started out i straight up sucked. Now i'v come to find that the same people who critisised me the roughest when i started are now some of my biggest fans because they've heard me progress. I basicly got a deal because i wasn't afraid to let people hear my stuff. Now i got 3 labels to run and 2 albums waiting to be dropped. Don't be afraid to finish a track by whatever means possible and let people hear it. Just remember that there are people out there that just love to tell people what they want to hear and will always say "that was awsome" or "You ROCK!!!" or some bullshit like that. You should always say thank you but you shouldn't let it go to your head because the better you get the more people that there will be to blow smoke up your ass. I say listen alot harder to your critics because when your old critics start to say "that was whoop ass!" you'll know that was the damn truth.