help me first gear to buy

- ask away
xteck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

help me first gear to buy

Post by xteck »

hi guys , first of all sorry my bad english =)
i've started producing 2 years ago and it's something like impossible to have a good tune on my pc speakers (sony 2.1 32watt -urk )

i've got a good pair of headphone , midi keyboard and a controller ...

the budget is not a problem for me .. i can buy a pair of adam a5 and a NI Sound card ... but i don't want to spend to much cuz i'm not richie hawtin (for now (-) ) ...

i know i need a good audio interface and a pair of active monitor what other i need ? a mixing desk ?

what do you think about these : http://www.alesis.com/m1active520usb

thanksssss to you all :) :!:
notelba
Carmen58
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Carmen58 »

Firstly to buy monitors, you should to try it in a shop for test different speaker and then, buy that which corresponds you best ;)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

how serious are you? if your serious and have the money buy the best monitors you can. the alesis are ok, i got them as it was all i could afford and i didn't do my research. i've had them for about 4 years now and i want to upgrade. the A5's will be good if they are anything like the A7's but you may need a sub as the bass only goes down to 55Hz.

here are some suggestions

Mackie HR624mk2
Yamaha HS80M

as for audio interfaces i guess it would be good to know what your planning on doing.

are you going to be recording stuff from outside (hardware synths, microphones) the computer or will you be making stuff with softsynths and samples?

are you on mac or PC?

do you have any software already?

you probably don't need a mixer.
xteck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xteck »

oh sorry... my bad :

i'm on PC
i use Ableton
i just use softsynths and samples, no hardware ...

@Etienne C. : i can't go on shops for listening cuz near my city there's no pc music business

my doubs are :

if I buy Yahama hs80 wich audio interface i need to buy? entrylevel , mid price range, high price range ?
can entry level gear like the alesis 520usb are, make me realease something on labels? can i mix a good track with them?

i can imagine : a good pair of studio monitor , a sub , a good audio interface and what is lacking is the producer ... i'm not the best techno producer and for now i thinking to buy entry level gear if still usefull

"the money is not a problem" Famous Last Words...you know... ahah
notelba
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

if your not using hardware it doesn't matter what interface you have. any interface with 2 out 1/4 inch jacks and supports 24 bit will do.

these are some good examples of what you need

M-Audio Firewire Solo
M-Audio Fast Track [b]Pro[/b] the other fast track hasn't got 1/4 inch outputs and sounds crap.
Lexicon Alpha (cheapest)
Lexicon Omega
PreSonus AudioBox USB

those alesis 520 don't look made for production. they only support 16 bit audio. that suggests they're aimed towards the bedroom digital DJ. also the bass response isn't very good or accurate.

when it comes to monitors buy the best you can afford.
xteck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xteck »

tone-def wrote:if your not using hardware it doesn't matter what interface you have. any interface with 2 out 1/4 inch jacks and supports 24 bit will do.

M-Audio Firewire Solo
M-Audio Fast Track Pro the other fast track hasn't got 1/4 inch outputs and sounds crap.
Lexicon Alpha (cheapest)
Lexicon Omega
PreSonus AudioBox USB

those alesis 520 don't look made for production. they only support 16 bit audio. that suggests they're aimed towards the bedroom digital DJ. also the bass response isn't very good or accurate.

thanks for the reply ! it is accurate !!! :)
notelba
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

xteck wrote:can entry level gear like the alesis 520usb are, make me realease something on labels? can i mix a good track with them?
reading this, for me, begs the question, do you guys think someone who is serious about production, but not all that knowledgeable or skilled should buy top of the line gear right away when theyre are just starting out, or should one buy more entry level stuff and learn the tools and basics first and eventually upgrade?

i imagine most of you would ask whether or not money is an issue, and speaking for myself, if money wasn't an issue id have all kinds of drum machines and hardware and software and even a bigger space (i can barely fit the gear i do have now!) regardless of how talented/knowledgeable i was with production so im mainly wondering for the stance of someone who does not have loads of money to burn on gear, at least not right away.

i dont even have monitors yet :? lol

anyway i ask because a lot of the time i want to just buy lower end entry level stuff to sort of teach myself the basics but i wonder to myself if i should just wait and save for something more high end and i justify it to myself as an investment in my future even though atm i may not need it or even know how to use it effectively.

answered my own question, eh?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

tone-def wrote:if your not using hardware it doesn't matter what interface you have. any interface with 2 out 1/4 inch jacks and supports 24 bit will do.

M-Audio Firewire Solo
M-Audio Fast Track Pro the other fast track hasn't got 1/4 inch outputs and sounds crap.
Lexicon Alpha (cheapest)
Lexicon Omega
PreSonus AudioBox USB

the only one that sounds good off of that list is the PreSonus