EQ Tips & Tricks

- ask away
Mise
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

EQ Tips & Tricks

Post by Mise »

I recently bought an XONE62 and very pleased with my purchase. However my EQ'ing style has changed considerably since, coupled with the fact there are a few extra filter features which i'm trying my hardest to stay away from :lol:. Not sure whether this is down to the sound quality being SO different to my last mixer or the 4 band EQ business.

The lo mid is the one i've used least since the move to the 4 band and i've found im tweaking alot let than previously. Feels like im learning all over again, which is making mixing more fun!

Anyway, has anyone got advice on effective EQ'ing / filter techniques?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

try this:

turn the bass down as much as you can, wait 8 beatsteps and turn it up again
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

Themis wrote:try this:

lol

try and think about balancing everything out, so if you fade out the bass and the treble, boost the mid a bit so the overall signal doesn't drop too much in level etc. I know that there are 2 mids on the allen and heath, this was just an example really. Just try to keep in mind signal levels :) Also, if its the old version of the allen and heath, be sure to fade the resonance down on the filter when its at extremes of bass and treble. The newer models actually do this automatically for you, which is better for people who dont understand what the resonance on a filter is. However it sounds a bit odd and I prefered the old version where I could do this myself.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

haha thanks themis, you forgot to add a reverb :)
Mise
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Mise »

Themis wrote:try this:

THANKS M8
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: EQ Tips & Tricks

Post by sherman »

Mise wrote:I recently bought an XONE62 and very pleased with my purchase. However my EQ'ing style has changed considerably since, coupled with the fact there are a few extra filter features which i'm trying my hardest to stay away from :lol:. Not sure whether this is down to the sound quality being SO different to my last mixer or the 4 band EQ business.

The lo mid is the one i've used least since the move to the 4 band and i've found im tweaking alot let than previously. Feels like im learning all over again, which is making mixing more fun!

Anyway, has anyone got advice on effective EQ'ing / filter techniques?
Now, I've only messed around on a 62 a few times so don't take this as gospel :P Just some things to look at:

I found nice results curving off my EQs with the mids. Like, if I had the low dropped, I'd drop the mid-low a tad too. If killing hi, drop the mid-hi a bit (seemed to cut the mid-hi by more than I did the mid-low, just what sounded nicer to me. Now we're talking ~11 o'clock here, not < 9...). It just made things sound more organic. Like, the track had no bass, as opposed to it being cut out. Did that make sense? :S

Now the filters...

I own a DDM4000, pretty budget job but I like it. Its only for home, and does so nicely. (behringer haters need not reply. I've had no complaints about quality from people listening, everyone just assumes DJM800 these days and I only hear hate when people _see_ I'm not using one :roll: ) It has dual onboard effects which can be assigned to individual channels, of which I only use the filters. The resonance doesn't have any real bite to it, but I generally have it set to the lowest value anyway.
/backstory

When cueing up a track, I'll often flick on a HPF and adjust the frequency to find where it essentially removes the kick. If theres a sub bass, this is removed too. Now the track can be mixed in more freely without worrying about kicks clashing or summing, and I find things just gel together better than when using the low EQ. Rather than drop the volume of everything in the low EQ's range (often including parts of instruments sitting near this threshold, and some sound's lower harmonics), you remove what you don't want and leave the rest to come through in the mix. Filters = smooth + sexy :D

One thing I'd love to look at, especially with the bite you can get from the xone filters, would be to run some simple acid tracks through clean, and use the mixer's filters to squeal. I know everyone sh!ts themselves for 303s, but some clean acid lines on CD + live tweaking could be just as fun :) Anyone tried this? I'd love to hear some demos / comparisons. (People could have been doing this for years, and I just didn't know. If so, don't tease my ignorance).

HTH
-- sherman
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

the xone filters aint that resonant as 303 well but i never tested it with a real 303 :) but i like the filter actually i mostly have the resonance set to max but sometimes i go from 0 to the max cause sometimes it reaslly starts to resonate especially in low frequencies.
i wonder can you hear the filter setting after cued? i have got the older version where cue is pre-eq , but if you mod it do you hear the filter after that?
and ummm anyone know where to get the details for modding 62 to post-eq? cause shitty a&h support replied to me 2 weeks after i posted & they want me to charge nearly 100 pounds or more!!! are they dumb or what?
its all about the rhythm
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Rookas wrote: and ummm anyone know where to get the details for modding 62 to post-eq? cause shitty a&h support replied to me 2 weeks after i posted & they want me to charge nearly 100 pounds or more!!! are they dumb or what?
why would you want to do that? i always thought that was the best thing about A&H mixers.