Livesets and mastering

- ask away
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Livesets and mastering

Post by Cheaper »

Hi freaks

Theres often a great difference between mastered and unmastered tracks, and i was wondering if artists doing Livesets are getting their stuff (loops etc) mastered or not.

I plan to build a liveset myself, i had some tracks mastered professionally and they do not sound the same when i play live (which is kinda normal)

any thoughts ?
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings
TMPprod
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TMPprod »

Flag ! I'm interested in an answer too :)
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

If you play live using finished stereo mixes, having them mastered might make a difference (mostly depending on the quality of the PA of the venue).
Otherwise, if you assemble your tracks live mixing and matching loops and samples, I think the best you can do is stack a few, well chosen plugins on the master bus and let your set play through that mastering chain.
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

There was a thread with some info about this somewhere. I have no idea what it was called though.

It would be quite interesting if you were using, for exmaple Ableton live, and you could send your live set to an M.E. and they set up some compression and e.q.ing or whatever and then sent it back to you.
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

lcvl wrote:If you play live using finished stereo mixes, having them mastered might make a difference (mostly depending on the quality of the PA of the venue)..
"live"
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

thomasjaldemark wrote:
lcvl wrote:If you play live using finished stereo mixes, having them mastered might make a difference (mostly depending on the quality of the PA of the venue)..
"live"
right. ;)
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

'Fake' kick drum track for live stuff, to use as the sidechain on the master compressor(s).

Then, if you want to play mastered stuff, don't put the fake kick on that channel and it wont be affected.

Also, send your live stuff +3db and set no gain (0db not -3/-6 whatever db) on your limiter, so live stuff will get processed using the limiter, but already limited stuff will be played without further processing.

Then you can do both at the same time (much more flexible)
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

daveashe wrote:'Fake' kick drum track for live stuff, to use as the sidechain on the master compressor(s).

Then, if you want to play mastered stuff, don't put the fake kick on that channel and it wont be affected.

Also, send your live stuff +3db and set no gain (0db not -3/-6 whatever db) on your limiter, so live stuff will get processed using the limiter, but already limited stuff will be played without further processing.

Then you can do both at the same time (much more flexible)
Or you can just set up two subgroups, one clean, one with the "mastering processing" (if you feel your tracks need it).

If the club PA is up for it then your set might sound better without anything on the master bus, provided it's mixed well. Less limiting = more punch. Provided, of course, you've got enough headroom.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de