Glitchy drum fx - saturator + bitcrusher + filter?

- ask away
idlemode
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Glitchy drum fx - saturator + bitcrusher + filter?

Post by idlemode »

hey people.

I have question about the drums by producer Kontext. First up, don't wanna steal his whole sound. Just the drum fx set up i am looking at. and am trying lot's of stuff out already but wanted any advice you could give.

I've been trying to get a similar effect on my drums for a while but can't work out what effects to use. can get close. Dont mean the main kick and snare. I mean the sorta glitch fills in between.

I've tried adding saturator's in combination with filters and bitcrushers, which is what it sounds like to me? But in various configuations can't get a similar sound to it. I use Ableton with samples i've loaded into Impulse. Maybe he also added some fake scratchy vinyl effect also? (maybe they are sampled from vinyl.)

The best example is "Hometown Swamp" on his myspace here at 2.05

http://www.myspace.com/kontextkontext
habitueE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by habitueE »

sounds like various samples with ultra short decay + some phaser/flanger effect and maybe some bit reduction in between
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

automating filter cutoff with lot's of resonance can get you nice clicks and pops like that. Also try modulating a synth for those sounds instead of samples. A synth like Operator can make those pretty easily. Also contrasting with some really wide steroe percussive samples helps create more 3d.

The drum parts sound fairly mono so that the ambience/reverb drenched stuff sounds nice and wide in comparison.

btw a Machinedrum is very good at making these kinds of sounds. So is a midi automated Waldorf miniworks.