MINUS 'killing' artists?

- open
djreagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

MINUS 'killing' artists?

Post by djreagen »

this just came to my mind because i was checking some new clickbox stuff. Most of the stuff is stuff that i dont really like. I remember some years ago i really liked clickbox stuff. Most of that stuff was unreleased (and still is). At that time they were not really 'famous' yet and they produced alot more quality stuff imo.

Another example is tractile: I remember a LIVE PA from 2005 that was absolutely killing. Really special stuff, slow bpm very raw sounds. Nowdays when i hear something from then (which is kinda rare) its really not as good as in the old days.

So, i was thinking: why? One of the things that came to my mind was: Maybe the artists think when they are at MINUS, everyone likes them anyway so they can make whatever they want. They make like overextreme things (talking about tractile especially) that most of us minimalists don't like. The mainstream audience likes this tho, and what i see is that M_NUS is focusing more and more on them (i don't blame Richie for that, $$$$).

BUT, its not the case with all artists from Minus, for example heartthrob and gaiser, are still on the same level and still great in my opinion.

Also maybe this phenomenon is probably not only happening at Minus. Im just using this label as an example because i see what is happening here. Maybe u guys know some other cases....

DISCUSS
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

verified by more than a couple sources, m_nus has a mystique you have to adhere to to be on the label, which is why a lot of people use a pseudonym that is ONLY on m_nus (matthew dear is only false on m_nus, ryan crosson is only berg nixon on m_nus, etc). contractually, you basically sign your life, and music, away to them.

i've heard from a couple people that certain m_nus artists have given richie hundreds of tracks, and richie basically owns them all, and can do with them whatever the hell he wants, included release them if / when he pleases. explains why he has so many awesome unreleased tracks on his own label, no?
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i dont think so.

why so complicated? Maybe you changed, or the artist changed.
djreagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djreagen »

Themis wrote:i dont think so.

why so complicated? Maybe you changed, or the artist changed.
i didnt really change because i still like that old stuff what im talking about. The artist changed for sure
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

So the real question is, do Minus change artists in a good way.
so now we are down to the question how do we define the good way.
Harlesden
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Harlesden »

stop talking sh!t
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

Harlesden wrote:stop talking sht
+1
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

Minus for sure got a distinct sound but I don't think it's Richie Hawtin or the Label itself what maybe in your words "kills" the awesomeness of music from some artists.

I think it's more the marketing of the label which ends up pretty unfair I'd say..
So I end up asking myself - why there are artists working on such good ideas which are not getting into the center for months and there are artists not releasing anything for years and get all the fame anyway...
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.