my endless ableton question:(

- ask away
Redsnappy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

my endless ableton question:(

Post by Redsnappy »

i have ableton running under 2 gb ram,pentium 4.my problem is that when i play a song on ableton,cpu meter of windows task manager shows half of ableton's cpu meter.is it normal or problem :?:
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

well, if you use a bunch of fx it's quite a normal problem.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
i-am-an-exit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i-am-an-exit »

have you configured your pc for optomized music performance? You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes turing off graphics and that sort of stuff.... and yeah.... If you are using a lot of VST's it will spike your processor no matter how much of a beast you have for a machine. Ableton's own effects are pretty mnml on the processor with the exception of the reverb. Could also be to do with your soundcard... what kind do you have? If you have one with dedicated drivers it will cut down on the CPU intensity. M-audio cards in partuicular cause a major drain on resources. But really, it could be any one or a combination of a million different things... so best to work through and optimize as best you can, then check what you are running, and take it from there.
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

i-am-an-exit wrote:have you configured your pc for optomized music performance? You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes turing off graphics and that sort of stuff.... and yeah.... If you are using a lot of VST's it will spike your processor no matter how much of a beast you have for a machine. Ableton's own effects are pretty mnml on the processor with the exception of the reverb. Could also be to do with your soundcard... what kind do you have? If you have one with dedicated drivers it will cut down on the CPU intensity. M-audio cards in partuicular cause a major drain on resources. But really, it could be any one or a combination of a million different things... so best to work through and optimize as best you can, then check what you are running, and take it from there.
this is not answering his question (which I've been asking myself as well), which is: why is there a difference in the CPU meter given by ableton and the one given by the wiindows task manager?

(and yes, my pc is pretty optimized for music production)
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

to get some performance you can also increase the audiobuffersize of your soundcard...you will have higher latency when playing live your synths via keyboard but more performance for your vst plugs....
techno made me do it