[Traum 065] Jesse Somfay - We Breathe the Stars... (2005)

- wax
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

ace wrote:a friend said something interesting one time "a good musician should think he is a bad musician because this is the only way for him to get better."
a good musician knows how good he is and can work with that. or else he would just be talented... :wink:
techno made me do it
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

i think bot tracks are unique, well produced and very emotive. our "minimal" aesthetic has grown and jesse proves it quite well. traum has always emphasized a more melody/synth based sound and allthough i favor bloopy magda, perlon, herbert type of sounds im still very open to more than one idea in a pigeonhole. been meaning to check out some more border community btw. congradulations jesse. enjoyed your archipeal demo as well.
L,
andrew
ps-i know you have great taste in music and feel that you rock in person too : )
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Glad you like it, Andrew :)

I just finished the 1st track for my next follow up 12", "Flight of Disposition," on Traum. It's going to be pretty far out ;)
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

deccard wrote:
ace wrote:a friend said something interesting one time "a good musician should think he is a bad musician because this is the only way for him to get better."
a good musician knows how good he is and can work with that. or else he would just be talented... :wink:
haha..

I love this release, I really appreciate all the details and work. I can seriously say it takes 2-3 listens to fully get the whole image of these tracks. For those who don't like it, I recommand to at least listen to all the processing and hard work Jesse has done. Deep! :D
kage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kage »

"Far out!" - Bill & Ted!
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

kage wrote:"Far out!" - Bill & Ted!
Hahahahaha!

"Most excellent"
kage
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kage »

"Be Excellent to each other!"
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

I´m really not feeling the A-side at all. No disprespect, as the production sounds pretty tight, but I just don´t get it. I mean, I could maybe imagine it as the last track of the night when everybody feels like a zombie, and this tune could lift you up before the long, cold walk home, but at any other point in the night it would just sound odd to me.

Now the b-side is a different story! Really liking that one. Much more stripped down and bare elements there. Still with an atmosphere, but much deeper?

As for the whole "minimal or not?" debate, there is a lot of music which I think should not be strictly called minimal around at the moment. A lot of the Cologne stuff sounds very like trance/pop music to me. I mean, listen to something like Meloboy - Hot love (Koze Rmx) with it´s cheesy camp vocals and school disco beats. This is minimal?!? I don´t think so. Minimal is being used as an umbrealla term for a lot of music at the moment. If we´re going to be picky, then a lot of artists are wrongly categorised.

Jesse, I don´t like the A-side, but I love the flip side. Keep it up!