drum sounds

- ask away
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I use a load of things. Mainly vintage drum machine samples which I have sculpted to sound the way I want them to sound. Sometimes I use recordings of live accoustic drums, percussion, et al. For me it's more about taking a sound and making it into something I desire, rather than looking for that one perfect sound. Sound design in electronic dance music :)
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

i think you will find that there is no magic sample pack, software or hardware that will give you everything that you are looking for. you have to remember that everything in your tracks start with your samples, you must be both creative and diligent with your sampling, experiment with every piece of software, hardware and audio files that you can get your hands on. i have never picked up a program that i haven't pulled something good out of. most importantly, don't forget to rely on you field recording to fill in all the areas that are missing after you have drum sounds, these are the strange noises, odd percusions and crazy vocals that get ppl's attention and add depth to your music.

but to be more specific, the software i work with>

NI electronic instruments
NI reaktor
NI FM7
NI Absynth
Arturia Moog modular V
Korg Legacy Collection-- very very nice addition to the studio for the price!

and also as jesse said, you can make th samples and then sculpt them how you want them to sound by using plugins and audio editing software to get to your desired sound.

hope some fo this helps
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

Elektron drum machine.
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

dont have much samples.. some 200mb.. mainly use them all over and over again.. god bless fx and sound design..

and lots of vsts :)
Luka
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Luka »

i am about to do some field recording with my MD and have a little stereo mic for it. it is a very old MD player. should i worry about the data compression techniques used by my old MD player as even my music dubbings have low audio rates and a muddy sound.

(it is seriously 4-5 years old and i would love to upgrade but my student bank balance doesnt allow)

do you think there is a technique to eradicate the lossy compression on the recordings?
problemchild
melbourne australia

http://www.myspace.com/problemcreations
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

in case you didn't see the other post, may I refer you to the advice of scientific experts on the subject?

http://www.museumoftechno.org/technical/
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Been listening to a lot of Jeff Samuel stuff lately. Love the way he makes a flat kick sound so PHAT!!! His hats are also quality, really choppy they almost sound like there run through at 62k then imported back into the drum sampler or whatever he uses to sequance drums.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

adam wrote:in case you didn't see the other post, may I refer you to the advice of scientific experts on the subject?

http://www.museumoftechno.org/technical/
just thought about them when I saw this topic LOL

and for the drum samples, youse your head. you'll think of something eventually ;)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...