- ask away
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

do you recommend these books?

Post by Daemonix »

Im thinking of getting these books...

Music Theory for Computer Musicians - Michael Hewitt
Publisher: Delmar; 1 Pap/Cdr edition (2 May 2008)

Ableton Live 7 Power! The Comprehensive Guide - Jon Margulies
Publisher: Delmar; 1 edition (4 May 2008)

Any help?!
**first book: Apart from 1 year of "music school" (dont know how they are called) for classic guitar and theory of music I dont have any other proper education. ( about music :P )

**second: I know who to use Live and I have see many video tutorials but I think a book is always good.

thnx
Tasos
NickSoundDT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NickSoundDT »

I haven't read the first book, but have you checked out the free Ravenspiral Guide to Music Theory? I honestly think it's the best music theory resource out there that is directed at electronic music producers.

Here's a link: http://www.ravenspiral.com/ravenspiralguide.pdf

Just figured you might be able to save some cash and check that out instead. It may or may not be what you're looking for, but there it is anyway :)

- Nick
Ableton Live sound design tutorials
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

thnx alot :)
off topic: just before hitting refresh and read your post I was looking at your site and I saw the video you have. (talk with you later about that)

Any other help ppl?!?!
NickSoundDT
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NickSoundDT »

Cool, I hope it helps!
Ableton Live sound design tutorials
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

What exactly do you want to learn about?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

+1 for Ravenspiral guide. Really nice guide.

Spend some time on various forums in different sections... eg KVRaudio.com ... ('music theory' and 'sound design' or whichever you feel you wanna know about). People explaining things to each other in a casual kinda way is a good (imo) way to absorb knowledge, you can kinda drift, and it's not always too full on.

also cruising through wikipedia can be really worth it.... if a topic comes up on a forum somewhere that sounds interesting stick it into wikipedia and start cruising. All the related topics will be linked and you can read up on anything that's interesting. Taking notes with pen and paper can help things sink in better cos you have to reaarange things in your mind to write them down. Plus it makes you feel a little more serious.

Also spend some time taking apart songs you like... all the theory you need to know is in the songs themselves... the way the melody is working, rhythm, tension and release and so forth.

Well anyways, these are some of the things that were helpful to me. I haven't learned music formally at all really, and I'm very happy with what I've learned from these places.

good luck!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I would recomend reading alot of mixing and mastering. Knowing how to make things sound good will give you alot of confidence in your music and help your creative flow.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

not directly about electronic music, but this is the most interesting and stimulating book i've read in a while;

'this is your brain on music by daniel levitin'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Your-Brain ... 1843547155

it actually made me re-evaluate everything i do in the studio.