Matthew Dear sound

- ask away
PatStormont
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PatStormont »

I learnt a lot of my production techniques by trying to imitate others. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
astro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by astro »

i don´t think people WANT to imitate others actually, thing is when you start getting into producing it is difficult to achieve a great-sounding track, so, as in any other learning process you first emulate your "teachers" (or any model you´re given) in order to develop your own skills, it is natural, it is the way we work. if talent is within a person it will come out, no matter how one gets to it.... important is to be aware of that and not lose sight of yourself in the middle.....
zero.
emsley
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by emsley »

Cans wrote:Or you could just learn what compression is and how to use it.

The problem with so many of the producers on this forum is that they are tryiung to emulate others rather than finding their own sound... I've seen countless threads about Richie's effects or the Matthew Dear sound... stop worrying about them and start worrying about your own effects and your own sound.
The thing is...you can't learn...and thus understand compression, or any other signal processes for that matter, through theoretical teaching by itself. So you know the definition...that doesn't mean anything without practical experience. The practical experience that leads to understanding comes through hearing what specific changes in settings do in relation to another's work to hear what is actually happening with compression.

As for developing your own sound...that's just a matter of time, and as "Dunkel" learns, he'll take what he's learning and apply it in ways that suite his taste.

The reason that I mentioned that he try filtering out an uncomfortable frequency is because I thought that that is what the author was trying to do AS A RESULT of his compression applications not leaving him with a pleasant sound. If the problem is the source material, then a little EQ filtering is the way to go...compressing won't do a thing for unpleasant harmonics, it will only accentuate them if anything, unless you're using am multiband compressor, which is much further down the road when coming to grips with dynamics processing. Just a misunderstanding I guess...but I'd have to agree that developing and learning through people who inspire you is a completely functional method of building a solid base towards understanding modern recording techniques...

Emz
Cans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cans »

Hey do whatever you want... while you're trying to sound like X producer, the rest of us will be releasing records.
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

this is not the thread for this!!!
i asked for some help with sound, and the only reference i can give is a REFERENCE duh!
take your discussion to the general chat instead of dissing my music you didnt even hear :roll:
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Renze
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Renze »

Cans wrote:Hey do whatever you want... while you're trying to sound like X producer, the rest of us will be releasing records.
What an incredibly arrogant statement.
Cans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cans »

Renze wrote:
Cans wrote:Hey do whatever you want... while you're trying to sound like X producer, the rest of us will be releasing records.
What an incredibly arrogant statement.

IMAGE REMOVED (size was too big)

Thats all i have to say for now. Hang out.
PatStormont
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PatStormont »

Really, care to name some of your releases?