feiyr.com -- opinions?

- ask away
triedhard
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

feiyr - it's a scam ?

Post by triedhard »

I did some research and foudn a few labels that have used them. unfortunately i had confirmation it is not a good company to use.
it's not exactly a scam, but it's not operating professionally and it's a dishonest front as they do not actually distribute themselves.

it's very easy to get into it, and for all intents and purposes they get the job done -, but their accounting is aparantley poor at best.

also if you try to change distribution, even though their terms state you can leave anytime without notice - they just close your account and delete all your online stats so you have no proof, and then refuse to pay through any income. i heard this from a few labels who lost most of their income this way after a years worth of sales (they take their sweet time paying out it seems!)

you can see on their own forum their clients are complaining about payment, and suspect a scam!

Additionally Feiyr do not distribute themselves - they basically take your product and then give it to a 'real' distributer to distribute for them. so you also pay double distribution commission at best.

my advice - too much negative responses out there -avoid at all cost.

if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is...

use someone established and trusted - kontor, believe digital, epm as examples - these are the kind of companies feiyr use to distribute for them!
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

weird. You can follow stats and payouts almost every day and you can track it all, even stats per track and on what site they were sold...

Since we have direct accounts with BP, Juno and WPP, we only use them for "the rest of the shops". But that's enough to pay for mastering f.e. for our tracks, so absolutely don't have complaints. I guess people that are not happy expect that everything goes very fast in this world, but compare that to the pace that publishing rights etc are being paid... On Beatport, they pay about a month after the end of the quarter, and Feiyr usually pays about three weeks after that payment. That's of course quite some time after your actual sales, but that's just how it works. Selling music requires a lot of patience sometimes and if you put your last money in it I can imagine you can grow very anxious at times :)
triedhard
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by triedhard »

Good to hear its going well for you with them.
Im sure they can't be treating everybody badly,
it's just a warning on my findings- sick of hearing about people getting treated badly in this business.

I spoke direct with Kontor myself who confirmed that they distribute for feiyr, so you do pay double commission. If it doesn't appear that way on your stats you have to ask yourself why.

also if you go direct to believe digital, kontor, epm etc - you don't pay 'signing up fee', you don't pay for isrc, you don't pay for EAN codes, takedowns are free and the accounting is spot on. - and your right it usually takes 4 wks to get statements in, slightly longer with feiyr as they have to collate the stats they receive from their distributer first of course.

many of the bigger clients listed on feiyr site are not clients at all - contact some names direct and they'll confirm.

Where there's smoke, there's feiyr...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

oh well... we used to be with EPM and we also had issues there, friends of ours suddenly noticed their tracks were up as Juno exclusives while they didn't want that, another label had to meet a certain minimum sales number there and if you didn't make it you had to pay the difference to make up...

Feiyr doesn't distribute to all stores indirectly as you say, they have some exclusives (their own sites deejay.de and alikes), some directly (djdownload, beatport, juno,...) and yes, a few through "subdistribution". You make that sound like the strangest thing while this is f.e. ery common in distribution. A distributor can't possibly cater to every store, so they work together with other distributors who market on stores they don't have directly in portfolio. If they didn't do that, your music would be only available in the stores they are directly in contact with , now at least you get a -granted, smaller- fee for those stores anyway. This is something that's also very common in "physical" distribution btw.

Besides, the system with Feiyr is pretty cool in that aspect that you can choose what stores they should distribute to. So, if you have a direct account with Beatport, you just tick all boxes except Beatport and your music will only end up on those stores you're not directly affiliated with. I think that's a very very good deal for a label, since most of money comes from Beatport anyways.

I'm always a bit weary listening to competitors rant about others directly in competition with them. Been in the business too long now to trust everything people spread around, often enough there's a hidden agenda. The best way is to take a leap of faith, and if it doesn't work out for you, go somewhere else, period. :)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

PsyTox wrote: The best way is to take a leap of faith, and if it doesn't work out for you, go somewhere else, period. :)
+ 1
saedos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

avoid feiyr

Post by saedos »

I've joined this forum just to say: Avoid Feiyr at all cost. They are really hokey and terrible to work with. Here's one story to illustrate:
I've forgotten my password to log in to my feiyr account. In order to retrieve it, they are asking for my birthday. Well I gave them a fake birthday (I never give out my real birthday for security reasons), so now in order to reset my password, they are telling me to fill out a physical form, and send it to them by mail along with 50 euros!! Unbelievable.
I've had tons of other problems with them as well, I'd encourage you to find another aggregator to work with.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: avoid feiyr

Post by NoAffiliation »

saedos wrote:I've joined this forum just to say: Avoid Feiyr at all cost. They are really hokey and terrible to work with. Here's one story to illustrate:
I've forgotten my password to log in to my feiyr account. In order to retrieve it, they are asking for my birthday. Well I gave them a fake birthday (I never give out my real birthday for security reasons), so now in order to reset my password, they are telling me to fill out a physical form, and send it to them by mail along with 50 euros!! Unbelievable.
I've had tons of other problems with them as well, I'd encourage you to find another aggregator to work with.
the company is trying to protect YOUR security. i wouldn't want to do business with a site that would let me access something my bank account was linked with if i supplied false information about my identity. sounds like basic fraud prevention to me
ezoteric
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ezoteric »

never ever work with them!! they are scammers, when they hear that you want to change the distribution or you want to quit the work with them, they will block your account. Also you have to pay the takedown for every release and its about 9,99 - 29,99€ BEFORE you can Quit. They best is, when they block your account, you cannot login anymore and you cant quit the contract. They will take all income for theyreself, believe me there are many many other labels who has been cheated! DONT TRUST FEYIR!!!
i will go to lawyer!