Basstraps

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Basstraps

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

I managed to procure some free high density rockwool from the site im running, and im going to make some bass traps with them...

Before i do; do they work? Do they really balance the low end reactions of a room as well as everyone makes out?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

JUST DO IT! home made stuff is just as effective as some of the stuff you buy but a lot cheaper. I wish i had some of that.
Martin Decara
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Basstraps

Post by Martin Decara »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:I managed to procure some free high density rockwool from the site im running, and im going to make some bass traps with them...

Before i do; do they work? Do they really balance the low end reactions of a room as well as everyone makes out?
No, it will not help you in the low end. It´s a complex topic! I dont even have a link or anything that can help you.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

tone-def wrote:JUST DO IT! home made stuff is just as effective as some of the stuff you buy but a lot cheaper. I wish i had some of that.
Come up and get some then, i can spare a 4 pack of 1000 x 600mm.

Or buy it, its like £35.00 a pack dude...
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Basstraps

Martin Decara wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:I managed to procure some free high density rockwool from the site im running, and im going to make some bass traps with them...

No, it will not help you in the low end. It´s a complex topic! I dont even have a link or anything that can help you.
Ive found plenty of info on it.....

I find A & C bass notes are really lacking in power in my "studio" (the spare room lol)

But Gs are super deep.....

The thing is, when i bounce something down, and listen to it in my car or whatever, the Gs are quite and the As really loud..!

Also, since moving my gear in there, i find it really fatiguing to mix anything at anything but the lowest levels....

Sooooo, i reckon a broadband bass trap will do the trick, im going to make like 6, 4 room height fuckers (about 2600mm), and a few 1000 x 6000mm
units too.... all 100mm (4") thick....

Ive seen some nice fabric in Ikea to cover them too, proper arts and crafts stylee.....
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

What site are you running?!!
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

nononononononononono!

Im talking DIY son! the "sheets" are just high spec house insulation, available form any reputable builders merchant...

"broadband" simply refers to the fact that they're meant to flatten the resonance of a wide range of frequency's!

It looks like you just gotta frame some insulation, cover it with fabric to make it look nice and place them in the corners of your room and / or behind your monitors.....

Has anyone actually made any? ive got a pile of insulation about 8 foot tall in my hall, ill be gutted if its all a blag!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Well I can say most definatelly that it will help if you have a room where you get some strange resonance on reverbs. I probably wont be a huge difference since where you put your speakers in a room tends to have a much bigger effect.

It will surelly flatten out some of the weird stuff though.