number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

number of downloads/income from beatport

Post by xxmmxx »

Just wondering if anyone here is releasing stuff on beatport exclusively, as in.. no physical releases just mp3s on the website. I'm wondering about sales figures, for example how many downlads a track gets if it stays in the top 10 charts within a certain genre. I noticed the charts can change at a frantic pace sometimes within days because of the influx of new releases. So for example, if a tracks stays in the top 10 downloads in the minimal downlad charts for a week.. what are the figures like. I know this can vary wildly but as a rough estimate, would it be hundreds of downlads, or perhaps thousands? or could it be simply 10 or so.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I have no idea how many downloads you get on the top ten charts but from my experience with my label and talking to other non famous label owners it is hard to get much more than 1-200 downloads even from exceptional tracks. Our songs are on 50 something stores and beatport does eighty percent of sales so they are obvioslly hands down the number one store.

Im sure some of the labels that have been around long enough to have a good fanbase do better though. Its real hard to stand out with so much competition and you basically have two weeks before your buried in new releases. So if your release doesnt make charts then it just kinda falls off the map with all the rest.

Unless you can afford big names as a smaller label your numbers are kinda shitty. It takes a long time to build a fanbase big enough to get sales.
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

interesting,... this is the first figure I've heard in terms of downloads, thanks for sharing it! I've only recently started buying tracks from beatport but I have noticed the overwhelming amount of new releases. I have come across 1-2 tracks that I bought a month ago and somehow I stumbled on them by accident by going into some dj's charts, but otherwise I get the feeling there are thousands of tracks buried deep deep in the system and that even new tracks get buried within a week or so. Its good that these songs can be tracked down at a later date but at the same time a user has to know what they're looking for to stumble upon them
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

the other thing I wanted to find out is is it even a realistic idea that one could make some pocket money ie. (profit) from seeling tracks on such a site. I'm not expecting to make a living off it, but does enough money trickle down to the producers to amount to at least a few hundred bucks for an average performing track? What percentage of cost of a song does the artist end up with? Let's say I buy a new release for $2.50 US how much does the artist get after the label deducts costs?
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

60/40

beatport is the best out there, and with that comes the fck you of taking 40% of the sales, i think theyre deserving, but damn 40%....should be like 25%
signatures suck
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

problem is theres not much left by the time it gets to the artist. at 2 dollars beatport takes .60 so you have 1.40 then our distributor takes about 37 cents so you have 1.12 We pay 50/50 with originals so the artist gets about 55 cents per download . alot of labels only pay 40 percent.

So if the track does average for us we make about 50-150 downloads depending on how many tracks are released the same day. thats only 25-75 dollars for the artist. The remixes are split three ways so you might make another 20.50 bucks on that.

Unless your writing tracks that can really cut through all the competition or your on a big label your not gonna make very much money. Unless you can get five to ten tracks a week finished. And then the quality will probably lack so youd be in the dsame boat.

If your lucky a big artist will chart your song or itll get on the beatport charts and then you might make some money but with so much competition its not likelly.

All the more reason to do it just because you love it.
Crimson Chamber Music
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Crimson Chamber Music »

xxmmxx wrote:interesting,... this is the first figure I've heard in terms of downloads, thanks for sharing it!
+1

Respect for the honesty!
It's a tekno/electro/housemusic
myspace.com/EdwinKatzer

too much quantization can seriously harm your groove,...
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

So the majority of people really only look at the charts when there searching for new tracks? :shock: I don't get that, really I don't..