How do you remember tracks?

- open
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

How do you remember tracks?

Post by brianc »

I have a lot of tracks from records, netlabels, friends, etc. A problem I have all the time when listening to a DJ set is thinking "Hey, I've got this track. This is great!" and having no idea what track it is. It seems like I only have space in my brain for remembering about 20 tracks at a time.

Am I the only person who can't remember these things?

Harm, how do you do it? You buy records like a madman!
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

hm i get about 10 new records every week. i don´t remember them all. it´s often just the new (put in label or artist) for me. only really great or outstanding records i remember the name.
techno made me do it
orphic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by orphic »

Yeah I find it hard to remember everything. I'll usually remember either the label, artist or part of the title but not all three. I'll only remember them all for really outstanding tracks, or tracks that I found very hard to find! Would love to be able to remember them all :(
wes_mcgee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by wes_mcgee »

yeah I am sure it has to do with personality....I too get at least 5 records a week(maybe own 3k....no idea really), and as long as I listen to it more than once, I will always at least remember that I own it if I hear it again somewhere....maybe not always artist and label(I never think or waste memory on the title). I think I may a bit too mechanical about it though; perhaps should feel the vibe of a track more, and be less of a walking techno database? being an engineer and a book learner makes that hard though. after a few years I will forget the boring ones I think....hundreds and hundreds of progressive house records, I doubt I will ever do anything with.
Harm Rhebergen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harm Rhebergen »

:lol:

Funny topic! I kinda have the same "problem" as you... It happends a lot that I'm at a party where I hear a great track. When I ask somebody what track it is, it seems that I already have that track for weeks/months/years. To be honoust, I'm quit bad remembering tracks too..

Maybe it's the drugs... :oops:
*I support southern fruits*
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

i discover stuff all the time in my collection
i like it
memory loss can be a beautifull thing
i do some digging before a gig to refresh my memory
it helps
jspr
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by jspr »

it's too hard to remember all....just play a lot at home.....

I had a "bad" day with my iBook and iTunes and for some reason (probably my own fault) I erased the music folder with a "Mac key combination" (command + x + backspace). I had to import all the tracks again in my iBook and in Final Scratch.
I feld really bad, that day, but I'm more happy than before with my Final Scratch.
First i had like 1600 tracks, now "only" 500, and the nicest thing: i know almost every track of that collection by seeing the "tags".
I sorted the tracks very critical. For instance, I had like 35 Villalobos tracks, and I only play like 6, so the rest are not in my collection anymore, but on my external drive for later use.
Last edited by jspr on Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

the picture pressing in the middle of the vinyl does alot for me.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.