Salutations from the Southern Tip of Africa!

don't be shy. introduce yourself!
robinwould
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Salutations from the Southern Tip of Africa!

Post by robinwould »

Yup, bet you didn't know we even had electricity here, let alone a thriving minimal scene! Ha ha, sorry. Don't mean to rub you up the wrong way, but the first world is notoriously oblivious to the happenings of darkest Africa. :lol:

Anyways, my stage name is Robin Would, and I am a minimal/dub techno DJ (cue: "Hi Robin" greeting a la Alanon!). The bug bit officially in late 2006/early 2007, although I have been behind the decks for over a decade now. My style has matured from my early, upfront/funky/tech house days, to be more fluid, darker and more edgy today. My latest flavour seems to be leaning more towards dub-techno, which captures exactly where I am musically at the moment (watch out for mixes soon). I currently hold a residency at Living Room, although I must admit that, like most residencies, my creativity is a bit stifled in exchange for keeping the owners happy. But hey, it's all about getting your name out there, which is exactly what I'm doing.

I reside in sunny Cape Town, South Africa, and we are fast becoming a player in the global scene. Just last month, we hosted the Global Breakthrough Festival, which saw the likes of Henrik Schwartz, Christian from Ame and the enigmatic Luciano grace our ears with the very cutting edge of EDM. Later this month we will see a visit from Mr Digweed himself, and The Bays have already confirmed their attendance at the Cape Town International Jazz Festival! :shock: On the local scene, we have the boys from Killer Robot, who's Friday nights at Fiction Bar in Cape Town have reached legendary status, with crowds queuing until 3 in the morning! Elsewhere in the country, we have the likes of Digital Rockit and mntl, the latter who recently hosted Ali Perc. Local artists include Seake, who are on the brink of a worldwide onslaught, and Alex van Heerden, whose latest release on Beatport is jaw-dropping! The beauty of our scene I think, is that it's a few years behind the rest of the world. So think where Europe was 4 years ago, that's where we are now. Musically we are up to date, but the scene is still in its' infancy, and people are starting to sit up and take note. And so the momentum builds...

As with most DJ's today, the advances in technology have become impossible to ignore, and it is with a heavy heart that I have turned my back on my first love, vinyl. With the advent of midi-controllers, CDJ's and the like, the possibilities have become endless, and really allows you to explore your creativity better than vinyl ever could. I have thus relied on MP3 downloads to grow my collection, and I perform mostly with CD's, but occasionally also use a Behringer BCD-3000 controller.

Phew, so there it is! I have politely introduced myself, so no n00b bashing okay! :lol: I'm looking forward to hearing everyones' views on EDM, and also to listening to some of the productions on offer here. It's so easy to download the Top 10 on Beatport, but it's places like this where the true gems are discovered. I look forward to a happy hunt... 8)
Sneaky
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Sneaky »

Welcome to the site, great first post... maybe some day i will try and make a visit to your land :)
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Nice to hear CT is finally beginning to progress in sound. When I lived there 2 years ago it was all about House house house and some more house!

:D
K0$+3k
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by K0$+3k »

Hi Robin:)
So if you're come from Cape Town,you must know music by Alex van Heerden(also from Cape Town)?I love his music,and i think he has contributed fresh breeze music.
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Luis Isaac »

Hi Robin!, I have a great friend you must know from Cape Town called Oliver.... http://www.myspace.com/oliversuttondj
Yeah, it looks like Cape Rock's 8)
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

I met a DJ in cape town called Bruno. We met at this record/skate store near kloofstreet. I went to one of his parties which was given on Bree street if i remember correctly.. Do you know him?

I will be there this year again during the xmas season. If there are any nice parties pls let us know.
robinwould
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by robinwould »

Geez, feels like this was posted a lifetime ago! Ha ha ha

My apologies for not replying to your posts guys, and thanks for the warm welcome. Since first posting I have relocated to The Big Smoke, and I'm pushing further with the deep, dubbed out sound.

@ Celltek - Indeed, Cape Town is still pretty much ruled by House, but at least there is a bit more variety on offer these days. I know Bruno quite well too, having guested for Killer Robot a few times before moving to London. He is currently on tour in Germany.

If anyone is in London, come and check out The Geek Show, launching on the 19th July with myself, Sahin Meyer and special guest Lakuti, label boss of Uzuri Recordings and Sud Electronic.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?106193

Check out this website for some great mixes and productions by South-African DJs, including a podcast mix by yours truly :D

http://www.listenup.za.net/