Engineers/ Producers

- open
iC3MaN
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by iC3MaN »

which other artists have enigneers.

and what do you comment about this. personally these type of producers went very down my list. they should stick to their own thing, if they are not able to produce then they should stick with djing, like Damian Lazarus said in an interview i read a few days ago
Minimise to Maximise
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Well like Tiga, he had a lot of ideas and wanted to do them but didn't know where to start form. He eventually worked with other people and learned. Now after some years, he's releasing his album.

I don't think it's not because you don't know something you should put from it. But if you work with other people, you shouldn't take all the credits, that's my point of view.
gooner
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gooner »

hmmmm...

if you don't arrange sounds, tweak nobs, sing some words or fiddle with your mouse then your name shouldn't be anywhere near a record... that's a joke..

having ideas doesn't mean sh!t, surely! unless you end up with a tangible track that you have worked on in some way yourself then you cannot be called an artist/producer whatever...

if you are not good enough to turn ideas into tracks then go learn how to produce or practice some more!! :twisted:
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

gooner wrote:hmmmm...

if you don't arrange sounds, tweak nobs, sing some words or fiddle with your mouse then your name shouldn't be anywhere near a record... that's a joke..

having ideas doesn't mean sh!t, surely! unless you end up with a tangible track that you have worked on in some way yourself then you cannot be called an artist/producer whatever...

if you are not good enough to turn ideas into tracks then go learn how to produce or practice some more!! :twisted:
I would work with you anytime, Mark 8)
daemon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by daemon »

if you have an idea or what so ever and you go through the whole process of creating the track (samples, arrangements, effect , sound) together with the engineer then i cant see the harm in working with one
Cause you tell him how to arrange it and what is good and not .

if you just tell him yeah i want a track sounding like this and let him make the whole track by himself and you take all honour that isnt fair

But working with an engineer can have advantages i think. it can help you learn a lot, he can show you how to do stuff that you perhaps couldnt and he can tell you what is possible and what s not.... soundwise ....

but as pheek said not giving the guy credits on the record is smth not done
gooner
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gooner »

pheek wrote:

I would work with you anytime, Mark 8)
:D

don't get me started.. I've spent too many god damn hours in the studio getting to where I am now (and that's not very far either! ;))
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Im totally with you.

Its like having someone paint a picture. I have the idea, but someone else is painting it. That doesnt make me a painter or even an artist. Anyone can come up with beats/melodies in their head...its putting them in a tangible form that requires skill and craft.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Wow!....
Some of you are just now hearing about this for the first time? It's somewhat reality shattering when you find out how amazingly common this is in electronic music. Very few of the big name dj's and producers make music alone. Alot of them use outside musicians and even more of them use engineer. I don't know how common this is in minimal per-se' because minimal(if held true to it's own definition) would be easy to mix because you wouldn't have to deal with that many tracks in a mix down. When you get into tracks that require a 30 track mixdown you'll want an engineer unless you're a blessed mthrfckr. I will probably be one of those guys who needs an engineer because i can produce tracks all day long but i'm not enough of a fool to believe that i have a good ear for mixdowns. My hearing has been damaged since i was a child.
It's also alot more common among the big names to have other people produce their tracks. I know of some major name trance artists that have producers here in Detroit make music for them on a regular basis. I also know of techno, electroclash and (ghasp) minimal artists that have done the same. Just because the music is considered underground it doesn't mean that the rules of the music buisness don't apply. The ones who realise that first are usually the ones who climb the ladder quicker. Unfortunatly the music buisness has almost nothing to do with selling music and has alot more to do with selling an image. Even in techno the same rules apply.