Ricardo Villalobos

Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

I don't know why, but I've never really liked Villalobos. I liked Easy Lee and Dexter, so I bought Alcachofa, and I was totally disappointed. The rest of the album sucks. I've heard a couple of good mixes by him, but he has a tendancy to go too housey for me, and sometimes it just sounds like pop music. I mean, I also bought Taka Taka, and that was a disappointment too. The tracklist looked good, but when I listened to the mix it seemed really flat and had no charatcer.

I don't know what it is, but I just never really go into this guy.
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

Man, I'd have to say that the Chromosoul record is hands down my favorite Villalobos release. Both sides are dope but the title track is the highlight. Plus, if I ever have to take a piss, I can just play that... Ironically most people I know that really dig him don't like it.. Go figure!
jar
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jar »

Villalobos has released some interesting records. But i don't think i would run at the chance to see him these days. Basically my respect has faded - I don't think being wasted under a pair of designer shades amounts to good techno!
cap'n can't get right
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cap'n can't get right »

Ricardo is a rockstar. The delta factor between a good set and a bad set is most likely due to the opinions or moods of the listener multiplied by the number of chemicals present in said listener, and said rockstar. The fact is when you hear Ricardo - you know it is him! I would give my left nut to go to a party with Ricardo again at circo loco. I've been rocking Taka Taka for the past two years (can of corn!) and it still sounds frshmnml (fresh + minimal) = mmmmmmmmmmm good!

I think he is a great DJ and a great producer. I think he has done so much for this music and this sort of "culture" that it would not be the same without him. For that he gets big ups all around.

OK, I'm done jocking Ricardo :oops:
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Seeing Ricardo and Ric Y Martin is what inspired me to hunt down and play more of this music.

I’m really looking forward to his new 2XLp on Cadenza this fall/winter.

The Internet rumor mill is working overtime these days on Ricardo and part of me wants to know more (or the truth anyway?) and part of me doesn’t really care. Anyone who plays as much as he does and for the countless hours he does and not to mention producing releases. ~ I say it makes him one of the hardest working dj/producers out there. And it’s all for our entertainment. I don’t understand this setting him up only to knock him down philosophy that I see happening. He is a pioneer of sound in my eyes.

I hope to see him again someday and look forward to future releases. As he evolves so will his music.

Has anyone see him play lately? How was it? Any person photos you could share besides all the ones posted on the board already?
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
PatStormont
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PatStormont »

Dres wrote:his productions bore the sh!t out of me the tracks go nowhere

the quality of the sound production is always high, but who cares if the song doesn't do anything

my $0.02
Everything you said = minimal. Isn't that the point?

It's better than having the standard 32 bar intro chorus verse chorus verse {insert cut up 32 bar akufeny breakdown here} chorus verse bridge yawn yawn yawn poo poo poo structure that a lot of minimal has.
seth
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by seth »

Dres wrote:his productions bore the sh!t out of me the tracks go nowhere

the quality of the sound production is always high, but who cares if the song doesn't do anything

my $0.02
they go no where? have you ever really listened to one of his tracks?

seriously ricardo is the most important producer in electronic music. so what that if he gets fucked up, and misses flights. in the end no one can make music as good as him, so the jokes on us.
if thing don't progress, will the future truly come
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

Well, I think comparing one artist's music to the next is not exactly a fair comparisson. Each artist does their best. Ricardo certainly does what he likes and does it well, but that is not to say that he is better than all artists. That is a rather impossible statement to make when each artist does something slightly different. Not everyone is going to like the same things. That's life.