Make a living with (your) music

- ask away
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

Jesse Somfay wrote: good at what you do to make a living off of it while always being true to yourself. However, it does help if your name is known.
Being true and honest with yourself will result in expressive and honest work. I think they go hand in hand, I've never came across honest good music made by someone who's a dickhead :)

and good being subjective ;) hehe
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

harass wrote:
Jesse Somfay wrote: I've never came across honest good music made by someone who's a dickhead :)
they come in all shapes and forms, and when your talking club music you get all sorts of druggy freaks :lol:
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
orphic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by orphic »

I think if you are true to yourself and what you believe, it doesn't really matter how far your music goes.

I would prefer my music to touch the heart and soul of a single person, than become just a catchy tune that is heard by hundreds and forgotten quickly.

Ofcourse it would be nice to live off music, not from a money perspective as well all know the income is rather low, but more so that you have more time to spend doing what you love. There are jobs that can accomodate this a little however.
mimusic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mimusic »

orphic wrote:Ofcourse it would be nice to live off music, not from a money perspective as well all know the income is rather low, but more so that you have more time to spend doing what you love. There are jobs that can accomodate this a little however.
Yes, exactly the point of my post here. But can you give some examples of these kind of jobs, and how realistic it is in ever having such a job?
mimusic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mimusic »

dunkel wrote: i live off of music alone ...
So what do you do to make this happen dunkel?
And how did you get there?
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

i started studying electrical engineering, started working in clubs as a sound guy, dropped out, and make a crappy living designing sound systems. im one of the best, if not the best in berlin, but dont make much. Of course, I deal with clubs and promoters, and typically these guys liek to spend all the money on themselves and djs and my business skills are sh!t.

keep this in mind when you givethe soundguy sh!t. regardless how good he might be at his job, the guy cleanign up bottles is making more money for hte evening.

this is a fucking hard business. Performing, recording, supporting, all of it. Unless you truly have a love for sound, dont try to make a living from the sound aspect. If you make good music, push your sh!t to labels and get bookings in other cities and stuff. If you live in north america, move to europe, seriously.

Now that I finally have a computer, and a laptop at that, I intend to design my own boxes, not jsut systems, and finish the music I start. If you can work outside your living area, you prolly stand to make more money. Diversifying what you can do creatively will give you more options.

SAE is a ripoff. If you want to learn recording, watch over the shoulders of otehrs and save your money. Your doing thesame thing. Having a certificate doesnt mean so much in a business that only cares about personal connections.
freeeeeee
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Der geile Ami wrote:
SAE is a ripoff. If you want to learn recording, watch over the shoulders of otehrs and save your money. Your doing thesame thing. Having a certificate doesnt mean so much in a business that only cares about personal connections.
interresting.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

plaster wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote:
interresting.
i used to live in ny and knew a few guys tha tworked in studios for mainstream artists. How it workedit that even if you were good, you offered to slave for a while and then they'd hire you. I know a guy here that runs a small to midsize studio and im pretty sure hes not looking for sae certificates. Going to school does not teach how to stay for 3 days working for someone else.

theres plenty of books on the subjects, jsut read
freeeeeee