Man, i love to play mp3's!
braz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by braz »

pheek wrote:
braz wrote:
pheek wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote:djs are generally pretty boring, regardless if they are beatmatching.

laptop guys chopping up tracks and djing other peoples sounds in ableton is a bit mroe interesting.

i dunno, when im on the dancefloor, im listening to the speakers and looking at teh girls.
haha..

There's a lot of people who say that laptop performances are boring. It's a matter of tastes I guess. No matter what, music is the priority to me.

Jesse, just do what you think is right. Play your music and have fun. If people like it, that what's matter. :)
right on! just push play and pretend to be busy behind teh decks! :roll:
I think you didn't get it, Braz.
so it seems :(
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Yeah, i have an opinion this subject.

Wheres the realtime? Wheres the skill? Wheres the talent?

I wanna see someone mixing RECORDS in realtime, not someone who can beatmap some illegally downloaded mp3's in a computer program. I just couldnt consider myself a "dj" if i took that route.

There's a lot of people who say that laptop performances are boring.
Like me. Of the hundred or so laptop sets ive seen, id say maybe 2 of them actually were good performances. How the hell am i suppose to get into your set if all your doing is staring at a computer screen, moving ocasionally every 20 minutes. Minimal can be boring enough to the average club goer...let alone a boring performance. So if your using only a computer for your live sets, go fucking nuts and break sh!t! Enjoy your music, its yours!
Jesse_mtl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jesse_mtl »

i dunno if its cuz ur a dj/producer, but ur not playing to people to look like ur some mad scientist. ur playing to people so they dance. they shouldnt be staring at u. i dont know which parties u go to, but its not like that in montreal. maybe u need to experience somethign over here
zkreso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zkreso »

I'm no DJ, but when I use Traktor I'm never idle, especially not for 20 minutes at a time. Remember that the computer can only beatmatch for you, it can't make the choices that allow for a natural transition from song to song.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

minimal house wrote:Yeah, i have an opinion this subject.

I wanna see someone mixing RECORDS in realtime, not someone who can beatmap some illegally downloaded mp3's in a computer program. I just couldnt consider myself a "dj" if i took that route.
what if the downloads are legit? what if you are playing your own tracks and you dont see the point in investing in finalscratchs interface?

what if you stole the records?

Laptop based liveacts seem to have a better flow than hardware transitions. What happens when you want to mix patterns from differnt songs on the same machine? Most hardware cant do that.

hi pheek, its randy, the sound guy from stern in berlin. they fired me monday (place isnt doing so well for money, just look at the owners cars).
freeeeeee
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Der geile Ami wrote:
minimal house wrote:Yeah, i have an opinion this subject.

what if the downloads are legit? what if you are playing your own tracks and you dont see the point in investing in finalscratchs interface?

what if you stole the records?

Laptop based liveacts seem to have a better flow than hardware transitions. What happens when you want to mix patterns from differnt songs on the same machine? Most hardware cant do that.

hi pheek, its randy, the sound guy from stern in berlin. they fired me monday (place isnt doing so well for money, just look at the owners cars).
If downloads are legit, cool.

If its your own tracks thats cool.

When guys who are traveling 10,000 miles a year put out a cd for 14.99 that was beatmapped, that isnt cool.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Jesse_mtl wrote:i dunno if its cuz ur a dj/producer, but ur not playing to people to look like ur some mad scientist. ur playing to people so they dance. they shouldnt be staring at u. i dont know which parties u go to, but its not like that in montreal. maybe u need to experience somethign over here
I agree... perhaps this is a huge variable.
(different cities / different energy)

Coming from an artist point of view. Once the label and distribution get their cut...sometimes the live show is where you make your gravy. sure looking for more entertaining live shows is never a bad thing. I'm sure even during the almighty kraftwerk show they are "standing there looking busy" if you will. I think the idea is going around in a circle again and combining music with visuals and just going back to the actual SHOW side of things may be something of the focus point in the years to come. give people a show...kinda of perspective. I expect good music. hence the entire reason for going out. sometimes it's just fun and even more enjoyable if you add other elements that compliment a great set. art, atmosphere, visuals, proper low lighting, ect .. perhaps you will tell more people. perhaps you will remember that particular evening. even if it was just one track, one movie clip, one moment.... adding other elements (to me) will never be a bad thing.

if you want to play out and rock out a tracktor mp3 set do it. if people enjoyed it and you turned heads. (good sh!t) I think it's all about educating the people who are not informed. if you feel after doing this perhaps final scratch is a better ave for you..then explore.

I also agree with Pheek. Just have fun.. in my opinion the FUN element has been lost....people are too serious all the time looking for technicalities... Just my perspective but I think the live shows should be fun. I remember kats in Detroit (bileebob & paris) getting in space and firefighter outfits and such for live shows and tag sets. it's all about enjoying yourself and self expression. Sometimes just deciding on a starting point is the hardest decision. Sounds like you may have found yours. Best of luck with all that you do. What ever you decide follow your own instinct.
"for your live sets, go fucking nuts and break sh!t! Enjoy your music, its yours!
:arrow: :idea: