Question about ableton live

- ask away
earcatcher
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Question about ableton live

Post by earcatcher »

What´s the best way to make a live setup with ableton live? Using ableton file´s for your tracks or wav. files?
i use it with a behringer BCR 2000 midicontroller
mimusic
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mimusic »

What´s the best way to make a live setup with ableton live? Using ableton file´s for your tracks or wav. files?
it depends strongly on what you want to do with your live set.
if you just want to mix tracks together in realtime live on the stage, the only thing you need together with your wav file is the created analysis file (.asd). this file is created when you first dragged the wav file in ableton. it containes your changes of speed and stuff to the sample. i recon you select the songs you want to mix beforehand and adjust the tempo and markers such that they are nicely in sync with you set?

if you want to add efx and stuff I recon it's better to save all that in an ableton file such that everything is ready to go when you open the file.

i use ableton only since a few weeks, but mixing is great when you get the markers right.
and i just love the combination with Reason and the possibility to record sounds and midi from my drum machine in such an easy way.
the clips are really a nice thing, the only 'bad thing' about ableton so far is that you can not record automation in a clip, only modulation of a setting. I wonder why it's only supported in the Arrangement view...???

cheers,

mimusic
g
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by g »

huh? ableton files are wav (or aiff) files. unless they are midi files.

and what mimusic said about playing full tracks is accurate but the process of correctly warp markering a full track is not trivial. it does take some skill and practice. SEE THIS TUTORIAL

still don't quite understand your question tho. however either way the answer is "RTFM" -- it's very well written and helpful. beyond that, pick THIS up; it's a really great book.
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Question about ableton live

Post by jpls »

earcatcher wrote:What´s the best way to make a live setup with ableton live? Using ableton file´s for your tracks or wav. files?
i am guessing that this statement refers to opening each track as normal
or producing multiple rendered versions(as audio) of each track for later
mixing within live.