field recording

- ask away
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

field recording

Post by plaster »

In general, the field refers to the outdoors, though in recent decades many recordings have been made in urban areas. Regardless of the location, the recording should be free of technical flaws such as glitchy audio, a rustling microphone boom, and the thumping crackle of onrushing wind. Any aural detail that dispels the sense of place is unwelcome, which, in the wilderness, might include the sounds of human activity (especially the act of recording!) as well as the distant hum of cars and planes. Upon returning to the studio, many recordists remedy such sonically incongruous interference with discreet editing, filtering, or other invisible post facto processing.

http://www.phonography.org/gear.htm
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

well,i'm interrested in it for some time,but i can't gather the funds to buy the whole equipment,which is shitty.

anyone else practicing this sport?
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

yeah, that's what foundsound is all about... doing field recordings, and using them in our music :wink:

the equipment can be decently priced now: to start with, you just need a minidisc recorder (and for doing this, you can get an old one, which are pretty cheap by now, coz you don't need all the features of the newer ones) and a mic; of course, it's with the mic that the cost can get out of control; one my interest in it is to "steal" sounds in circumstances when you interact with people for example, and for this, I'm using a tiny mic which I got for pretty cheap too; it's not the greatest quality, but that way, I can stay unnoticed......
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

I've been using a sony minidisc recorder and a cheap computer mic for a long time... you won't get rich stereofields and things but you will get rich sounds that are great for editing and abusing if you just record all the time.

I got lots of neat voices and things when I was on a train trip last year (coincidentally, on the way to mutek and back). My unit (and im sure most others) has this autogain feature which makes it really easy to just turn the unit on and let it run rampant, recording everything,even from a distance
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

ow,that autogain feature is really a nice thing...i read that everyone reccomends sony mz-r50 MD recorder..what do you guys say?
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

plaster wrote:ow,that autogain feature is really a nice thing...i read that everyone reccomends sony mz-r50 MD recorder..what do you guys say?
I don't know anything about that model in particular, I just wish I waited on mine (although I couldn't because I needed it then)... get one of the new high quality recording/larger storage units.. I forget what they are called.. maybe HiMD?

Oh, and yes the autogain can be handy...

I went to Northern Ontario camping and brought it with me, and somehow I was picking up birds that were chirping away from across a decent sized lake.. the cool part was that I almost couldn't hear them until I put on my headphones. Also, you get some really interesting and unpredicted dynamics to things like voices, pa announcements and mechanical noises... some wouldn't like that, and I wouldn't use it if I was trying to get an accurate representation of something, but it's a great way to unlock and discover interesting sound...
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

adam, can you turn that feature (auto gain) off? or is it always on by default?

daniel, I dunno that model... I have a pretty old model (sharp 977 something from 4-5 years ago), and to do what I do (field + gigs recordings) it's great, I really don't need all the newest features....... but I never use it to actually listen to music, or transfer music from my computer to the md.......
smeerkees
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by smeerkees »

Interesting topic! Never used any recorded sounds myself but I know some guys who did.
SUNDAY, APRIL 3 2005 - The granddaddy of them all