no mainstream mnml artist....?anybody...

pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Peek = new for me, also your artist name?

do you got a link where you can listen to your productions..?
The artist name is Pheek, not "Peek" and you can find links to my stuff in the thread "Pheek" of this Artist category. :wink:
Aron
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: .

Post by Aron »

pheek wrote:
Peek = new for me, also your artist name?

do you got a link where you can listen to your productions..?
The artist name is Pheek, not "Peek" and you can find links to my stuff in the thread "Pheek" of this Artist category. :wink:
Le freak, c'est Pheek.
It's nice to be minimal, but it's more minimal to be nice
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

lolz aron!

i guess it's the magic circle...just if you look clearly at it it's like this...young and unsigned artists bring the best of the underground scene untill they start to get more and more recognition.
once the money starts to flow it's not about the idea you started in the beginning.
but i think it's up to us to keep it underground.i guess! :wink:
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
phonudja
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by phonudja »

plaster wrote:lolz aron!

i guess it's the magic circle...just if you look clearly at it it's like this...young and unsigned artists bring the best of the underground scene untill they start to get more and more recognition.
once the money starts to flow it's not about the idea you started in the beginning.
but i think it's up to us to keep it underground.i guess! :wink:
Let's face it: very little money "starts to flow" for the vast majority of artists that make up the minimal scene. There are certainly names that get more recognition, but most of these people will have other jobs to support them still. How many artists in the list at the beginning of this thread can live on their art alone? Most of them run a label for which they also do the 'dirty' office work.
The whole scene is rather small and you can get the impression it's always the same names that come up. But to call them mainstream is almost an insult if they have simply managed to stay in business a little longer and with a little more success. Stop worrying about who represents the 'real' underground - especially if that simply means you make great music and can't pay the rent.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

It's more subtle than that. I've been living the past 2-3 years living off music income and it's horrible. I had to work and do shitty stuff to go through bills and to pay my rent/food. It's a choice but damn it's hard.

I don't know why some guys fall into easy patterns as they get popular but one thing I know: making money at some point is surely soothing.
phonudja
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by phonudja »

pheek wrote:
It's more subtle than that. I've been living the past 2-3 years living off music income and it's horrible. I had to work and do shitty stuff to go through bills and to pay my rent/food. It's a choice but damn it's hard.

I don't know why some guys fall into easy patterns as they get popular but one thing I know: making money at some point is surely soothing.
Completely agree.
The fact that you do make some money does not mean that you have stopped believing in your idea. If the money becomes the main cause and not a 'soothing' effect, that's were things go wrong.

It's possible that success has gone to some people's heads, but frankly, out of the list of artists we started out with, I cannot think of one that has somehow lost it and sold out. There's ups-and-downs for some, and maybe not every single bleep of what they do is top of the game, but they are still to be reckoned with. Pick one if you think he (or she) is no longer true!
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Completely agree.
The fact that you do make some money does not mean that you have stopped believing in your idea. If the money becomes the main cause and not a 'soothing' effect, that's were things go wrong.

well,i was refering to that scenario...and in general with music,not just with the minimal artists.
that scene is quite underground as far as i managed to catch from other ppls words.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

yeah, but I think when you start making money and you realize you easily could make more money by "making compromises" musically speaking, it's the easy way.......... and, I mean, it's not a critic, I'm convinced that most of the time, this patterns is just a totally natural one, and the producer doesn't even regard it like this: the evolution of your sound is guided by so many factors in your life that a producer can actually start liking what will make their sound somehow more popular! (which from the outside, we could see as "making compromises musically speaking")

I'm not saying that everyone does this, but just that it makes sense to me...