Dave Miller

The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Dave Miller

Post by The Remix »

Hailing from Perth, Western Australia, the physical seclusion of living in the most isolated city in the world has inspired Dave Miller to create truly modern forms of electronic music. As a representation of his cities multicultural population, Dave's music incorporates all facets of his favourite styles of music from which he builds something entirely new.

In the mid-late 90's, before he was legal-age, weekends saw him sneaking into bars that were playing everything from deep Chicago house to Detroit techno, while the weekdays saw him listening to early IDM-influenced electronica.

After working odd-jobs while still he was still in school Dave finally saved up enough money to buy a sampler and this gave him the impetus for his new venture into electronic music production. After a quick tutorial on how to actually use his newly bought gear, demos of his first tracks were handed to local radio stations where they were played for months on end. A handful of live sets followed, but it wasn't until Dave supported German ~scape artist Jan Jelinek that the move from local upstart to internationally released artist began. Handing demos to Jan, the tracks were eventually passed on to Andy Vaz, Background Records label boss when at age 20 he was instantly signed.

Incorporating elements of his early influences - the warmth and funk of Detroit house combined with the innovation and experimentation of electronica, his first releases on the label were deep, emotive and personal. Aiming to move the mind, body and heart at once, EP's were suited in equal parts to the club or the lounge.

Reviews of the releases were universally positive. Boomkat said of his first release: "There's some quite amazing rhythm manipulations, less muted perhaps than .snd, but with some of the same sprinkling of magic when we consider this as a debut release". The Wire's Phillip Sherburne explained in one of his needle drops articles that Daves' first EP's helped him 'rediscover techno' "He reminds me a bit of Dettinger in the way that all his sounds seem run through a sieve, bottled, frozen, and sprayed through an atomizer. His rhythms, too, from the Kompakt triplets to the headstrong, skipping garage touches are as squirrelly and inventive as anything out there, from Soft Pink Truth to Perlon."

In live performances Dave is adaptable as both a solo artist and in collaboration; Even with the severe lack of international artists travelling to Australia, in the past 2 years he has performed live alongside artists such as Andrew Pekler, Sutekh, Machine Drum, Manitoba, Funkstorung, Four Tet and Farben. He collaborated with Non-Place artist, solo blindfolded pianist Domenico De Clario as a part of the 2003 'Totally Huge New Music Festival'. October 2003 saw him play in a series of improvised performances as a part of Sydneys Sound Summit with jazz drummer Laurence Pike(Triosk). Late 2003 saw him perform his first European shows playing dates in France and Germany in venues such as a moored river boat, a church, a club, a theatre, and an art gallery alongside some of the worlds most cutting edge electronic music artists such as Portable, Andy Vaz, Mapstation(To Rocco Rot), Bus, Thomas Fehlman (The Orb) and others.

He is on Background Records and has an album coming out very soon.

http://www.background-records.de/data/content.htm

Anyone know where to get a set of his- I'm too impatient too wait for the album! :D
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

I live in the House- & Micro-House lives in me.
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

I e-mailed him- and he didn't know of any around- but I have e-mailed Minx before about her having any mixes out on the net- she said no- I found 3 so far of her.

So there has to be one or 2 out there somewhere.
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

zzz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zzz »

album of the year, sure,
or one of the better albums,
we wait impaciently,
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

you can say that again
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

zzz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zzz »

samples of the fantastic album
mitchells raccolta
Last edited by zzz on Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Remix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by The Remix »

yeah- thanks- I heard a bunch of them before- but this is really cool- man he is good- thanks zzz
theremixphilly@yahoo.com

jamespatrick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jamespatrick »

one of my favorites for sure.

the yellow background record is a minimal anthem, in my books.

can't wait for the LP. almost can't even listen to the clips....

TEASER!
PaulusP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by PaulusP »

Holland has his own Dave Miller who produces for Audiosculpture