(Revolver Canada 0017) Mitsuaki Komamura - Weedis EP (2006)

- wax
Revolver Canada
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

(Revolver Canada 0017) Mitsuaki Komamura - Weedis EP (2006)

Post by Revolver Canada »

Artist: Mitsuaki Komamura
Title: WEEDIS EP
Release date: 2006-11-27
Catalog #: 0017
Format: VINYL and MP3

We at Revolver are proud to introduce Mitsuaki Komamura to the world of electronic music with his stunning first EP.
He claims to have been born in the mountains of Nagano in a mushroom patch and raised by singing insects (and allegedly birds too. We don't claim to understand ;)). Tokyo's Mitsuaki Kumamora is also our first Japanese signing. Here he refines and defines as we see the emerging sound of Japanese minimal coming to fruition.

With the work of stellar labels like Fumiya Tanaka's opDisc, and new artists like Akiko Kiyama (rev0018) and Mitsuaki, we at Revolver Canada think the innovation within this music genre continue to span from the east of Europe, to the far east of Asia, soon to be emerging influences on the West. A few months ago, Jeff and Mitsuaki hung out in Shinagawa at a good friends dojo, combing over tracks alongside some tall cans of Asahi. Once the Japanese alcohol allergy kicked in, all decisions were made.

SIDE A:
1) WEEDIS
Weedis is so funky we can't still can't believe it's made in Japan. Breathtakingly smooth, broken, and deadly.

SIDE B:
1) WIPE SHERBET
Ok... now re-read what we said about Weedis and apply it to Wipe Sherbet, only this time add a scoop full of subtle melody.

2) SNOOP SUMMER
A brooding, melodic and emotive track which will fill the head and clear the dancefloor.

Reviews:
Tobias C. van Veen (Dj) / Controltochaos.ca
A subdued meditation on minimalism that adheres closely to Revolver's agenda of thoughtfulness. Fans of Jeff Milligan will appreciate the sense of timelessness and undulation that permeates throughout the Weedis EP. In the machine language of Mitusaki Komamura, the impulses of the brain are transmitted in microstatic bursts of light & darkness. The 4/4 is no longer about the kick assembly, but opens inward to a world of quantum activity.
Particles flow in & out of flux, dimensions collapse & connect. In other languages: this is music to move the mind as well as the feet. Serve with a Spanish Shiraz, a little Mike Shannon, a taste of Milligan, and/or a side-order of Andy Vaz.

Ron Schepper / Textura.org
Make way for the imminent Japanese invasion, with Tokyo-based Mitsuaki Komamura's electronic debut Weedis leading the latest charge. The title cut's sweet, smooth, and funky minimalism at its most intoxicating. Komamura ignites the piece with a magnificently snappy pulse that's as skeletal as it is rollicking and sprays it with miniscule edits and blips to keep things interesting.
The equally minimal "Wipe Sherbert" catches the ear with the repeated application of a thrumming flicker that suggests what a dragonfly's wings might sound like amplified and accelerated. With its lights turned down to meditative levels, "Snoop Summer" brings Komamura's electronic debut to a peaceful and rather autumnal close.
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

Ahh good ol Revolver... Love your label btw. Hmm, this looks interesting, will check out indeed.
Coog
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Coog »

Sounds real nice love Revolver's style!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I think this is pretty much Revolver style. Have had it for some time and it's fantastic, I love it!
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

Was hoping to hear something new...

Some cool rhythmic work and whatever in here, sounds cool BUT.. the whole fifth chords and sloppy pads thing is really tired. Glad to see revolver happening again though

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
JThoma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JThoma »

I've been waiting for this one to drop for a while. This is such a sick record! This one and the new Akiko Kiyama coming up next are blazing hot releases for Revolver.

Also I don't think this sounds formula in the slightest, a really interesting minimal record if you ask me. I mean with the minimal market being flooded by 20 records or more a week some things are going to sound a bit alike, but IMHO this one doesn't. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinion. ;)
i_o
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by i_o »

nice nice nice
Posso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Posso »

Always love this label. Jeff knows how to pick em' That crazy F*ckeeer.
Good Schtuff!