Jeff Mills

dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Zinthek wrote:You're telling me tracks like The Bells or The Extremist or The Hacker aren't minimal?
don't bother zinthek... minimal is a just sales term now, explaining what minimalism means in music is so exhausting... endless

but for the record, jeff mills is one of the pioneers of minimal techno
along many others...
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

You're probably right.

And yes, Mills can't be praised enough.
Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

dsat wrote:
Zinthek wrote:You're telling me tracks like The Bells or The Extremist or The Hacker aren't minimal?
don't bother zinthek... minimal is a just sales term now, explaining what minimalism means in music is so exhausting... endless
there are loads of rhythmical, percussive and other kinds of elements in those tracks, so they're not minimal at all to me.

Well, maybe you could call "H&M - Suspense" minimal, but to me, "minimal" has always been something that at first is reduced, not only in variety of the used sounds, but also in speed and variation of the whole tune.

I know, it's become more and more trendy for the neo-Minimal-headz to call everything "minimal" that's not Electroclash or Hardtechno but I won't jump on that bandwagon ever. Minimal remains minimal and Jeff Mills will never be.

Edit: "Minimal techno" would be Regis to me, e.g. - but not even half of his tracks...
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Fonque wrote:what Jeff does is a lot, but not minimal. it's maximal in any way...
What's maximal? Is it signed on m_nus yet?
Zinthek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Zinthek »

Fonque wrote:there are loads of rhythmical, percussive and other kinds of elements in those tracks, so they're not minimal at all to me.
So minimal tracks can't have rhythmical and percussive elements in 'em?
Fonque wrote:"minimal" has always been something that at first is reduced, not only in variety of the used sounds, but also in speed and variation of the whole tune.
Robert Hood isn't minimal cause his tracks haven't been reduced in speed?
Fonque wrote:...that's not Electroclash or Hardtechno...
There's hard techno that's a whole lot more minimal then some of these current minimal artists.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Zinthek wrote:Robert Hood isn't minimal cause his tracks haven't been reduced in speed?.
Come on Zinthek, we all know Minimal Nation is a maximal techno album :wink:
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

wow..."minimal" is such a HOT word!!!
let's cool down a little bit and remind us that we're talkin' about Jeff...

well, minimal or not, he was the first guy who divided each elements in a track to mix 'em up later on. and the master still works on analogue sequencer. he spins 70 records per hours, (maximal? haha) means that he uses probably 8-16 bar loops for each records...in this way, he "reduces" the track to its very basic elements.

if it sounds "maximal" to some of you guys, why not? by the way, the pleasure and inspirations we get from him is certainly maximal!

but i still insist that his "process" stays minimal, and this subtractive process of techno, experimented long, long time before Richie's DE9-Transition (well, again, i kinda act anti-m-nus or something...please believe me that i am not!!!), wasn't possible is The Master was not there...
Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

Zinthek wrote:
Fonque wrote:...that's not Electroclash or Hardtechno...
There's hard techno that's a whole lot more minimal then some of these current minimal artists.
according to your definition of "minimal" - as mine is different we don't need to push this any further...
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft