Does the medium play the artist?

- open
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

lol
Now if you excuse me, i'm gonna run away before the mnml teenager rotweilers jump on me.
Fear not puppies.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

thom wrote:lol
Now if you excuse me, i'm gonna run away before the mnml teenager rotweilers jump on me.
Fear not puppies.
:lol:

Eheh, they seem to be quiet today...

Should have given an example of a too prolific artist with nothing too say perhaps? :wink:
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

A few people seem to be taking this post as a personal attack. It is one of the hazards of digital communication. You should not unless you are guilty of said lack of depth and thought about your life and music. Here is the deal. I could sit a ten year old child in front of Ableton and he would come up with a common time beat. There IS a lot of very good young talent out there; the problem being that they lack any depth to what they do. Our (beat music) history is VERY young, but it has already been forgotten on a large scale. Beat music can be used as immediate gratification (so can drugs), but it will never last unless we have a reason for doing it. Spanish is a language, French is a language, math is a language, and music is a language. All I'm asking is that if you insist on getting in everyone's face and claiming your the best thing since sliced bread, you better have something to say.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

pizzamon wrote:the best thing since sliced bread...
Sliced bread is to bread what minimal techno has become to electronic music.

Generic...

I run around the net a lot to hear stuff from unknowns...rarely do I ever stumble across something minimal that has real taste...emotion, something genuine.

Last atrocity i heard sounded like a bad Perlon ripoff... only totally pointless and not even funny. It reeked of the intention of sounding hip. Funny thing the site's graphic work completely calshed with the music... In short, the complete absence of concept. Much sounds like pure lazyness and loopy copypastry. There was a whole net label full of this... then other labels...

So many people trying to make it... so few actually inspired and doing it.

After going through hours of tracks after wich youy say:"Well...let's see...that was pretty fucking boring and grey... ", two bars of Stevie Wonder feels like a hug...

Maybe it's all intentional and I'm not understanding the artistic pretention behind it that gives it credibility to others. I dont want to hear any the "non-gesture is a gesture", "no emotion is an emotion" bullshyte anymore though.... I might as well stare at a fucking concrete and call myself a conoisseur for liking it.

Btw...has anyone heard about some minimal funk? or soul? or hip-hop? ....Try minimal minimal. It's alive and well.

mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

ive seen people come and go for long time now and its the only real way to know if someones in it for the right reasons or not....and even if theyre not who cares....i try not to care how much the music I like is becoming the "in" thing to listen to or whatever. I just keep on listening to what I like and thats that. I would advise not worrying about everyone else and why theyre this for that and just worry about yourself.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

mlexicon wrote:ive seen people come and go for long time now and its the only real way to know if someones in it for the right reasons or not....and even if theyre not who cares....i try not to care how much the music I like is becoming the "in" thing to listen to or whatever. I just keep on listening to what I like and thats that. I would advise not worrying about everyone else and why theyre this for that and just worry about yourself.
agree :!:
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

I like what mlexicon wrote. It is something to think about. But do we, as part of a community, have a responsibility to call it when we see it? Not to discourage young talent you understand, but to encourage change and to keep respectability in beat music (what little we have).
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

pizzamon wrote:I like what mlexicon wrote. It is something to think about. But do we, as part of a community, have a responsibility to call it when we see it? Not to discourage young talent you understand, but to encourage change and to keep respectability in beat music (what little we have).
Tuff one.

I don't think we should do as simply listeners, because someone else might like what you don't. Three millions Celine Dion fans can't be wrong you know. :wink:
I guess the DJs should be aware of this responsability though, but it's understandable that they prefer following the wave than surfing their own.

Time will tell, I'm quite sure that most of the things we're hearing today will be forgotten next year.