Minimal Progressive Artists List?

djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Minimal Progressive Artists List?

Post by djxlr8r »

Seeing as artists like Loco Dice and Ion Ludvig are coming up the minimal scene and are being categorized as "minimal", who, in your eyes would you categorize as "minimal progressive". Iv'e seen not only a minimal explosion this past year but more of a minimal progressive explosion. Not in any way is this thread bashing and shitting on any of these artists so don't get the wrong idea peoples! Minimal has to be more specific now due to all these other genres mixing in with minimal especially progressive therefore I decided to start this thread. This eventually has to be done.

Here's a short list of artists that have progressive sounds to their productions to name a few.

Loco Dice
Ion Ludvig
Miskate
Butane
Argy
Mikael Stravoestrand
Ricardo Villalobos
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

I still don't see minimal as its own genre, but more of an adjective like minimal techno, minimal house, minimal whatever.
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

brianc wrote:I still don't see minimal as its own genre, but more of an adjective like minimal techno, minimal house, minimal whatever.
Yeah I agree, but it seems as though especially with all the artists I mentioned that they just have the genre title "minimal" but not minimal progressive because that is in fact what it is. If you were to a get lets say a new Daniel Bell record then you'll pretty much know that it's going to be minimal techno, an artist like S-Max will be minimal techno/electro and so on, but check out sites like decks.de and or discogs and see for yourselves that a lot of these artists are just being categorized as minimal and it's just not the case.
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

brianc wrote:I still don't see minimal as its own genre, but more of an adjective like minimal techno, minimal house, minimal whatever.
Yeah, hence the purpose of this thread...

I'm definitely w/ you on Ion Ludwig, Loco Dice, some Argy/Stavostrand & Butane's more recent output but I don't know about the rest. To me, Villalobos & Miskate are more on the housier end of the spectrum..

I'd say labels like Tic Tac Toe, Klang, & Mobilee tend to capture the Progressive Minimal sound. But not necessarily exclusively..
Last edited by v404 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

it's funny when people start using terms loke progressive once there's some melody involved....

actually, when the tracks is melodic, they should lose the term minimal altogether!

minimal progressive!? PLEASE!
svenlito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by svenlito »

this endless discussions about, what is minimal, how can i make minimal, am i minimal enough......

annoying!

I mean, hello its music.
jorgeds
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jorgeds »

svenlito wrote:this endless discussions about, what is minimal, how can i make minimal, am i minimal enough......

annoying!

I mean, hello its music.
Agree 100000000000000000000000000%
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

all "minimal" is - an informal descriptor to seperate seemingly more thoughtful/new music from predecessors of a certain genre.

several years ago, all these wise guys started calling everything "Nu" ... like "Nu breakbeat", "Nu house", etc... well, that's all minimal is now... it's the same kinda thing. So anyway, as dumb (or not) as it is.. we all know what people mean when they say minimal so there really isn't a need to debate it further when it's just talking loosely about artists and records and stuff that are coming out

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "