WAV vs. MP3

- open
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

you two..i'm talking about club environment.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
lil' jerk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lil' jerk »

plaster wrote:i'm talking about club environment.
louder systems are often what reveal some of the worst bit compression...
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

'fraid he's right plast.

unless it's a shitty club with blown speakers that you can't hear outta anyway. it's most noticeable when the pitch is adjusted substantially... and since that's a common part of dj 101... gooodluck!

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

thought to make a little test...an original 20 seconds rip from a sven vath - six ni the mix cd. track augenblick [sensorama railway mix]. bitrates are 192 / 256 and 320. i know my ears are damaged, but i can still notice subtle changes in frequency, altho i can't hear any in those three posted. nothing huge which would make me consider saying anything under 256 is crap. i think brianc posted the same test a while ago aswell.

sven vath - augenblick [sensorama railway mix] [192]

sven vath - augenblick [sensorama railway mix] [256]

sven vath - augenblick [sensorama railway mix] [320]

if you listen carefully you'll hear the kickdrum maybe has a bit of air after 192 rate..as i said..you really can't notice that on club systems on any loudness level.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

Just to get it out here, bitrate isn't really the only thing that determines how well an mp3 sounds. The source file, the encoder, and the encoder settings all play a huge role. I've heard 160 kb/s mp3s that sound better than 320s. Lame has a ton of options that can really improve the sound of mp3s.

That's why I like keeping the wave files somewhere (as flacs) so I can always make new mp3s later if I learn some new tricks.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

brianc wrote:Just to get it out here, bitrate isn't really the only thing that determines how well an mp3 sounds. The source file, the encoder, and the encoder settings all play a huge role. I've heard 160 kb/s mp3s that sound better than 320s.
You couldn't have sayed better.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

plaster wrote:thought to make a little test...an original 20 seconds rip from a sven vath - six ni the mix cd. track augenblick [sensorama railway mix]. bitrates are 192 / 256 and 320. i know my ears are damaged, but i can still notice subtle changes in frequency, altho i can't hear any in those three posted. nothing huge which would make me consider saying anything under 256 is crap. i think brianc posted the same test a while ago aswell.

sven vath - augenblick [sensorama railway mix] [192]

sven vath - augenblick [sensorama railway mix] [256]

sven vath - augenblick [sensorama railway mix] [320]

if you listen carefully you'll hear the kickdrum maybe has a bit of air after 192 rate..as i said..you really can't notice that on club systems on any loudness level.
You can definitely hear the difference,
and more importantly - there's a huge difference between listening and DJing. If you start manipulating the pitch in final scratch or traktor, the lower ones will start sounding shitty in comparison.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
lil' jerk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lil' jerk »

isa wrote:
brianc wrote:Just to get it out here, bitrate isn't really the only thing that determines how well an mp3 sounds. The source file, the encoder, and the encoder settings all play a huge role. I've heard 160 kb/s mp3s that sound better than 320s.
You couldn't have sayed better.
bitrate is bitrate.... take 160 kbps compressed with the worst codec and 160 kbps compressed with the best codec, there is the same amount of data missing. You never hear of people asking for mp3s at such a quality compressed with a certain codec.. fact is some system config will always reveal the weaknesses unless you weed them out by having less compression....

and its not even worth stating that low quality source files are a factor... otherwise we could all re-encode 128kbps files at 320 and be happy!
If you want irrefutable quality, go with wavs or minimally compressed mp3s - theres no battle between them, they're in the same line of options.