IS this forum dying?

- open
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: IS this forum dying?

Post by eggnchips »

I think some members' responses can be harsh on this forum. We all begin at some point and have the need to ask the basic stuff. That's why some of us join.
Last edited by eggnchips on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

eggnchips wrote:I think some members' responses can be harsh on this forum. We all beginn at some point and have the need to ask the basic stuff. That's why some of us join.

I do agree with you 100% on this - thats why I rarely comment here
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

NomadSpectrum wrote:
eggnchips wrote:I think some members' responses can be harsh on this forum. We all beginn at some point and have the need to ask the basic stuff. That's why some of us join.

I do agree with you 100% on this - thats why I rarely comment here
But one day you will see that this is why the members section is dead. Everyone is doing the same thing these days. After 5 years it gets a bit old.

I do fully understand how u feel, as it was how i felt when i started. But now i see what those people were getting at.
I wish I had paid less attention to trends. and done my own thing from the start. by now people could be on mnml asking how to make my basslines! :lol:
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

patrick bateman wrote:Common for many forums all over.
I think the social sites have more power than forums nowadays...
Yeah I think so. Which is a shame because Facebook and Twitter aren't exactly conducive to actual discussion in the same way that forums are.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

simonb wrote:
Yeah I think so. Which is a shame because Facebook and Twitter aren't exactly conducive to actual discussion in the same way that forums are.
Agreed, but I see this mostly on my own mixes.
Where I used to get quite a lot of comments/views on forums, this has now moved to the social sites instead.
And I see this also on other topics.
But I agree, a real discussion is far better on a forum compared to a facebook thread/comment.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

not as busy as it used to be, but one of my favourite forums for sure
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

lem wrote: i enjoy reading other members topics. if i can answer something i usually find it has already been answered. unless i can add something i dont bother.
back when i started on here people got flamed for asking how to make 'this' bassline etc.... i used to think it was a bit harsh.
but now i can't help but get a bit tired of the same posts going on lately. i can see how the mnml originals must of felt back when i started. i think i even asked those sort of questions when i started.
over the years i have used the search, googled, read books etc... the need to post is lessened when you already know how to find out information.
the things that i have read here that have been the most usefull are things that i never even knew about before. like tuning drums to a scale, polyrhythms, harmonics and composition.
when i first tried to apply a polyrhythm to a track it sounded gash, but i kept trying it until i found a way to work it. i could have asked how to make it sound good, but then i am only doing what others are doing.
I can definitely find myself in what you're saying.
I joined vintagesynth in 2001, back then there were maybe 5 new topics a week, and maybe 4 really active posters.
But hey, I was rather new to synths (or at least, I was happy to find anything at all, having experienced a time period before when there was no 2nd hand market, and no internet either) so I was happy with what I got.
I posted around 3000 to 4000 posts there, but the site got renewed in 2004, so post count was gone once, plus a 2nd time somewhere in 2007 because mr vintagesynth screwed something up.
So every post I make new, there's gotta be some guys looking at the post count and thinking "ah, newbie". :lol:

But honestly, I don't really care about post counts, or terms like "newbie" or whatever.
I saw vintagesynth boom gigantically over the years, and slowly but certainly I had reached a point where I thought "what's the point ?"
Why waste time posting if you could be using that time to make music or play with the kids or cook a nice dinner or light up the BBQ or hell, play hide the salami with the mrs ? :idea:
Unless it's something really interesting, I'm not gonna join in any more.
And I don't mean this in some kind of arrogant jaded way, cause sometimes I still try to help out some really newbie question (we've all been there). But it's just like Lem said above : your need to post is lessened if you've already learned so much over the years.
And that's where there's a difference in people : some people just post for the need of posting, others just when they need help or are looking for some kind of information.
the first kind of people need their internet friends to tell each other how much they like this or that.
It's usually the same kind of people that constantly bother to "like" or "dislike" stuff on facebook and whatnot.
I don't give a rat's ass about that. I'm with the 2nd kind.
I prefer real life to fora.
No matter how great fora can be, it's just a tool to get help or info, that's all. :)

but just for the record : this is generally a really nice forum :)
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Disagree. I do almost all my chat on forums for various different subjects. Forums get more interesting and targeted response than social sites IMHO.

To be fair though I tend to spend a lot more time on gearslutz and IDMF than here.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog