Post by BlueFog »

you don't need books.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

BlueFog wrote:you don't need books.
ah I can't say I agree with that dude.

I'd say you wanna get your hands on as much useful information as possible.

I used to think the internet was full to the brim with useful info, but the amount of information only in analogue form is unbelieveable.

e.g.

bob katz - mastering audio: the art and the science
curtis roads - the computer music tutorial

haven't found anything like that on the internet yet. (not o say the internet isn't worth your time... like I say above there's an awful lot if you know where to look, but there's an awful lot of gaps still)
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

steevio wrote:not directly about electronic music, but this is the most interesting and stimulating book i've read in a while;

'this is your brain on music by daniel levitin'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Your-Brain ... 1843547155

it actually made me re-evaluate everything i do in the studio.
+ one for this book. Highly highly recomended.

Funny someone was recomending it on the elektron forum and I "+1'd" as well.

The only thing about this guy.. I had the impression, while he is great becasue he can bring some pretty complicated concepts down to a language who can be understood even by non-scientist (it is indeed a scientific book, but simply writte), he has a problem with all the music being made after the 70s. I really disliked how he every now and then puts some senteces here and there to express his musical tastes.
While I understand a lot of timeless music has been done in the first half of this century, I do strongly believe that a lot of great music ist still being made, and the whole electronic music movement -you can't just ignore it.

Maybe only my impression, but I preceived a slight fascism towards "modern" music, labeled by Levitin as "too simple to be serious" a couple of times... what do you think about this steevio? Asking because I never got the chance to discuss about this point before.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

sorgenkind wrote:
steevio wrote:not directly about electronic music, but this is the most interesting and stimulating book i've read in a while;

'this is your brain on music by daniel levitin'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Your-Brain ... 1843547155

it actually made me re-evaluate everything i do in the studio.
+ one for this book. Highly highly recomended.

Funny someone was recomending it on the elektron forum and I "+1'd" as well.

The only thing about this guy.. I had the impression, while he is great becasue he can bring some pretty complicated concepts down to a language who can be understood even by non-scientist (it is indeed a scientific book, but simply writte), he has a problem with all the music being made after the 70s. I really disliked how he every now and then puts some senteces here and there to express his musical tastes.
While I understand a lot of timeless music has been done in the first half of this century, I do strongly believe that a lot of great music ist still being made, and the whole electronic music movement -you can't just ignore it.

Maybe only my impression, but I preceived a slight fascism towards "modern" music, labeled by Levitin as "too simple to be serious" a couple of times... what do you think about this steevio? Asking because I never got the chance to discuss about this point before.
thats weird i didnt really get that fascism towards modern music from him, i think its just he probably doesnt have any knowledge of it to be honest.
the nearest thing he got to our scene is hip-hop. i actually thought he brought a balanced coverage of other types of music up to 1990, but seemed out of his depth and never ventured into electronica.
he's blatantly an old west coast hippy who still listens to Steely Dan and the Eagles (probably the music i dislike the most)
but of course that doesnt really matter, the basic principals like rhythm, timbre, tempo, pitch etc. and how our brain processes them, i found fascinating.
i was particularly interested in the fact that timbre appears to be one of the most important aspects our brain focusses on and remembers.
its made me spend more time on the timbre of the parts and of the tune as a whole than maybe i did before. maybe i've spent too much time on rhythm and neglected timbre to some extent in the past.
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

What is this book about?!? Looks good!
Junkbeats
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Junkbeats »

this is book is great.

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/
http://www.junkbeats.com
http://www.myspace.com/junkbeatsmusic

JKBD003 - Phil Smart + Jon Williams - "Downsize" w/ Jimi Polar remix
JKBD002 - Basek and Phil Smart "Smoke Yourself" w/ Consistent (aka oliver$) remix.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

Unlocking the Groove Rhythm, Meter, and Musical Design in Electronic Dance Music .

got this one after somebody suggestion on a previous topic, a really interesting read...

http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/catalog/ ... s_id=22576
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

steevio wrote:its made me spend more time on the timbre of the parts and of the tune as a whole than maybe i did before. maybe i've spent too much time on rhythm and neglected timbre to some extent in the past.
indeed. guitarists are particularly obsessed with timbre - it's half of what defines them from another. and i guess that goes for most instrumentalists and should form the deciding factor when buying an acoustic or electric instrument. when i was learning guitar my teacher always stressed the importance of finding 'your sound'.