number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

S.D.L wrote:So the majority of people really only look at the charts when there searching for new tracks? :shock: I don't get that, really I don't..
kind of makes sense. the referal system is one that drives most economic decisions. people are like that, and there is so much stuff on there that people cant be expected to go through every release.
-paranoidandroid-
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by -paranoidandroid- »

S.D.L wrote:So the majority of people really only look at the charts when there searching for new tracks? :shock: I don't get that, really I don't..
Personally I don't. i dig as deep as i can and usually find tracks that are more appealing to my taste. I usually find what tops the charts is not my cup of tea at all.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Well everyone doesnt just buy from the charts. The problem is with hundreds of songs released in a week your odds are slim of getting huge sales. Most people only shop what is new for the week and there is plenty to choose from so basically every day that goes buy your track is getting buried by more and more releases. Most djs will buy from the charts and then do some digging and not everyone can afford to buy 50 tracks a week.

Its really hard if you dont release stuff that is right on the beaten path of whats popular too.
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

from the main page i always click genres, then i go to minimal and then i check out the top 10, then i look at the pretty pictures and click on banners that i like the look of and listen to songs, by this time i would have heard at least 1 song i liked... then i go back to the top 10 and go through again.. then i go hunting for a few more tracks digging a little deeper into the top charts, and will go into the tech house section as well... once i found about 5 songs i go to checkout
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

it seems like that yep. got one remix we did charted by claude vonstroke that was 3-4 weeks old and had done its time in the charts.
went from nothing to top 5 in the techno charts.
so it helps to be charted if ya wanna sell...
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

I've compared sales figures for a few labels, but it's hard for me to compare to our own because we're talking these are fairly established well known labels (probably not a good idea to try and match up to them too quickly when you are 1st starting out as I have found).

What's encouraging for me is that we have managed to break the 100+ / 200 + just on Kompakt, we don't sell our MP3s anywhere else. I've also released music on other labels that do sell everywhere - beatport etc etc...but the label never told me how much they sold, saying that - I've seen these releases popping up in quite a few charts, so I guess they didn't do too badly.

I always worried a bit that our sales were pretty low, but It doesn't help that a freind runs a house/soul label who sold out of their 1st press (of 1000) in a week, netting them some big distribution deal in Asia which meant they were managing to shift that sorta of figure quickly with each release, and this is all vinyl, not digital !! They've only just started doing digital I think so I must ask him how many units he manages.

His label is more by the numbers, it's releasing very polished music that's almost guaranteed to sell if it ticks the right boxes, whereas our label is more about unticking all the boxes and then re-arrranging the shapes so it's no longer boxes but hexagons.

Or something like that, so I guess it's pretty unfair for me to compare like that.

The slightly annoying thing is that I sometimes go back and check our free netlabel releases and the downloads are up in the thousands - like many many thousands and I do see the tracks popping up in mixes.

So It's easy to see that people playing your music and enjoying it is not translating into sales.

That sucks a bit If you are trying to make a living off of it (thankfully I'm not).and like Victor says, I'm sure you could make up the shortfall by releasing lots and lots, but lets face it, who actually wants to release track after track of the same thing ? It would do my head right in If I felt like I had to have some sort of production line on the go like that.

I think that when that kinda pressure is on - quality control takes a real hit, and I don't think that's desireable for anyone who loves music.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

I'm sure you guys with your own label want nothing more then have your tracks in one of the charts (top 10/ dj). But for me as a dj I do some crate digging every week (today actually). And most of the time, after listening to hundreds of horrible tracks, I just come out with a maximum of 10 tracks I like.. When I'm done digging I go through the charts and look if the tracks I want to buy are in any of the charts. And when they are, I delete them.. I don't want tracks that everybody already got. That's the advantage of going digital for me.

Sorry for the off-topic!
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^^

what if you really liked the track?