Minimal Progressive Artists List?

dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

djxlr8r wrote:
brianc wrote:I still don't see minimal as its own genre, but more of an adjective like minimal techno, minimal house, minimal whatever.
Yeah I agree, but it seems as though especially with all the artists I mentioned that they just have the genre title "minimal" but not minimal progressive because that is in fact what it is. If you were to a get lets say a new Daniel Bell record then you'll pretty much know that it's going to be minimal techno, an artist like S-Max will be minimal techno/electro and so on, but check out sites like decks.de and or discogs and see for yourselves that a lot of these artists are just being categorized as minimal and it's just not the case.
come on! are you looking at discogs categorization to see whether something falls under a certain style! of course there's a lot of minimal stuff not categorized under the term "minimal", back in the day there was no question about "MINIMAL"!!! it was all techno and house
and don't look at shop categorization, they are practically always wrong

actually minimalism is one of the main characteristics of the last 20 years of electronic music, but if you weren't there in those days, you wouldn't know, repetitiveness is what makes a groove, it's the backbone of electro(funk) in 1983, of house and acid in the late 80's, of early techno late 80's and everything that came later...

but what is (or should be) understood as minimal techno is stripping it down to its very essence, patterns, beats, repetitiveness, it's characterized more by "lack of" than "presence of"

in other words, saying that Minimal is not a style, is actually true as it pertains to different styles of electronic music that developed in the 80's
but you have to understand that the term "Minimal" is a thing of the last couple of years and has blown out of proportion so that everything is coined minimal something these days for purely commercial reasons (yes, to make money!!)

it's not because some tracks in a particular style of music have minimalist characteristics that you have to call it "minimal trance" or minimal progressive" or whatever... just because you saw it on an online shop because in the end, practically all of electronic music has minimalist features
(progressive now means tiesto and van buren, so how are you going to interpret that?)

don't call a duck a chicken just because it has feathers too
they're both birds anyway

but then again, i'm wasting my time trying to explain these things
i tried doing the same with electro years ago, and people looked 'utterly' amazed when i told them electro developed from hip hop in the 80's
(but tv says differently! power of the media over people's minds... wave of the future!)

blablabla

i'm even afraid of calling my music minimal techno actually
minimal is too much ballast (lol)
LILIAN
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by LILIAN »

svenlito wrote:this endless discussions about, what is minimal, how can i make minimal, am i minimal enough......

annoying!

I mean, hello its music.

AMEN :!:
Nic Synaes
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nic Synaes »

IMHO minimal isn't a genre per se - more a style of other genres, hence minimal house VS minimal techno. Even producers who are in no way associated with the style of minimal we are all familiar with (eg minimal techno) are using techniques and styles associated with minimal (eg Timbaland's R'n'B production). By that logic - a term like prog minimal, or minimal prog (meaning different things of course!) are fair enough - but really, none of it bloody matters, the music is king, not the adjective!
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

Well first off thanks for all the feedback and yes in the end, this is all just music but regardless if you agree with my initial post or not but first and foremost I want to say that IMO "minimal" shouldn't be the only word to categorize and specify whichever production/tracks a particular artists releases because it's kinda like bringing the whole "comparing apples to oranges" analogy in which if "minimal" groups everything from artists like Robert Hood to Loco Dice, it should all be just one word and I think that is very silly for the sake of what the individual artists produces to just simplify it to one general category.

I know we all have different views on this but none of you can tell me that artists like Loco Dice or Ion Ludwig are to be categorized as "minimal" as with Robert Hood which is a completely different style of minimal or Daniel Bell in which mostly everywhere you might look wether it's a record store or Discogs, they'll have it pretty much correctly categorized as minimal techno and not just "minimal".
djxlr8r
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by djxlr8r »

dsat wrote:
djxlr8r wrote:
brianc wrote:I still don't see minimal as its own genre, but more of an adjective like minimal techno, minimal house, minimal whatever.
Yeah I agree, but it seems as though especially with all the artists I mentioned that they just have the genre title "minimal" but not minimal progressive because that is in fact what it is. If you were to a get lets say a new Daniel Bell record then you'll pretty much know that it's going to be minimal techno, an artist like S-Max will be minimal techno/electro and so on, but check out sites like decks.de and or discogs and see for yourselves that a lot of these artists are just being categorized as minimal and it's just not the case.
come on! are you looking at discogs categorization to see whether something falls under a certain style! of course there's a lot of minimal stuff not categorized under the term "minimal", back in the day there was no question about "MINIMAL"!!! it was all techno and house
and don't look at shop categorization, they are practically always wrong
Well first off I used Discogs as an example so don't hang me for mentioning them but then again Discogs is a respectable resource for electronic music and even though they do get some categorizations wrong, it's an inevitable part of their service due to public members being the ones who actually categorize the styles in their opinions so there are going to be flaws, but it's not just Discogs or Decks.de, there are plenty of other places including record stores and online record stores and many forums including this one that just generalize minimal to just one word, minimal.
katie_m
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by katie_m »

svenlito wrote:this endless discussions about, what is minimal, how can i make minimal, am i minimal enough......

annoying!

I mean, hello its music.
i second that!!!names and stuff r for me personally mainly for commercial reasons and also for a so called musik evolution which inevitable!maybe some Axis records back in the 90s r the definition of minimal ...back then there was no such term?!right?for me personally techno musik was always minimal based on few elements and repetitiveness..if more subgenres incorporate so it be...the point is to make ppl dance ;)

and yes we need more jack!
v404
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by v404 »

dsat wrote:it's funny when people start using terms loke progressive once there's some melody involved....

actually, when the tracks is melodic, they should lose the term minimal altogether!

minimal progressive!? PLEASE!
Who said minimal music can't have melody?! I missed that meeting. If you can't hear the Progressive elements in tracks by Loco Dice & artists similar to that, than maybe you're just not familiar w/ the Progressive genre & it's conventions. Electronica has always borrowed elements from different genres and reapplied them to their own. That's natural in any medium. It happens w/ all music. Perfect example would be something like Rap/Rock.. In that case, it's both, not one of the other. Though Rock purists wouldn't like it & Rap purists would do the same. That doesn't mean it's neither or that the genre doesn't exist.

To say that Minimal is music w/o melody is false logic and also assumes that music or art doesn't progress.. People will take the Minimal aesthetic and apply it to a myriad of different genres & styles due to the recent popularity and thus exposure of the Collective Genre of Minimal Techno & House. There's nothing wrong w/ that..

I was under the impression that the whole point of this thread was not to bash people for recognizing the fact that Progressive & Minimal can coexist but rather to create a thread that discusses the artists who can & do that successfully.

If you think Progressive Minimal is an oxymoron, you ARE a moron. Minimal is an adjective that loans itself to all genres and therefore is not a definitive one on it's own.

While I do agree that "Minimal" has become somewhat of a buzz word within the Electronic Music spectrum, it still requires a certain amount of recognition of the aethetic to be deemed "Minimal." And I think that some of the artists in this thread are a perfect example of people who can create material that rides that fine line.

Just don't hate because you don't like Progressive or whatever. Every genre is capable of being Minimal.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

v404 wrote:
dsat wrote:it's funny when people start using terms loke progressive once there's some melody involved....

actually, when the tracks is melodic, they should lose the term minimal altogether!

minimal progressive!? PLEASE!
To say that Minimal is music w/o melody is false logic and also assumes that music or art doesn't progress.. People will take the Minimal aesthetic and apply it to a myriad of different genres & styles due to the recent popularity and thus exposure of the Collective Genre of Minimal Techno & House. There's nothing wrong w/ that..
i never said that.... i only said that the presence of melody doesn't necessarily mean you need to come up with yet another subgenre
v404 wrote:If you think Progressive Minimal is an oxymoron, you ARE a moron. Minimal is an adjective that loans itself to all genres and therefore is not a definitive one on it's own.
so you're calling me a moron? would you tell this to my face please!
why do you need to go personal with this mate? and why do you need to call people names just because you disagree with someone's opinion?
i will shut up now...

no more words from me on this forum
just some occasional posts.... pfff really, what a waste
i don't need to put up with this