modular synthesis

- ask away
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

Looks like I'm going to have to ship my case back to monorocket.. There is a feedback/hum noise that outputs when i patch it into my mixer. I took out all the modules and tested them one by one to see if it was a grounding issue but turns out its the case. :?
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

goomba wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to ship my case back to monorocket.. There is a feedback/hum noise that outputs when i patch it into my mixer. I took out all the modules and tested them one by one to see if it was a grounding issue but turns out its the case. :?
Obviously would recommend emailing them first to see if they can suggest anything, maybe search/ask on Muffwiggler to see if there's anything else that would cuase the problem other than the case itself. I don't 100% understand grounding and power supplies myself.

I've heard a few people mention about problems with Monorocket cases but every time I've seen it mentioned I've also seen it mentioned that the issues were very helpfully resolved. Kind of a pain in the arse to ship something big all the way across the ocean, and to hold back your plans, but better to be safe and make sure everything is 100%.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

I have contacted Steve and he has been very helpful.. Looks like its going back!
Just received this email:
To be up front - it's most likely that you'll be receiving the full refund for your case.

The biggest factor that delayed delivery of your case was a similar situation with two other customers.
When their cases arrived, we were unable to duplicate the problem (Case #1 was then used in a display at NAMM and we used the PSU from the Case #2 to power another manufacturers NAMM setup).

Your case (and everything that shipped since Jan 7) was tested specifically for this issue (hum in audio outs).
I've noted the details of your setup with the intention of narrowing the cause (when combined with other results).
At this point - unless there was some type of shipping damage done to the PSU - I'm not hopeful that we'll find anything and it's only fair that you be made whole.

I apologize for the inconvenience,
Steve R
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

goomba wrote:Looks like I'm going to have to ship my case back to monorocket.. There is a feedback/hum noise that outputs when i patch it into my mixer. I took out all the modules and tested them one by one to see if it was a grounding issue but turns out its the case. :?
like oblio says, dont panic just yet.

the only thing which is likely to be causing the problem is a faulty power supply, that would be easy to ship back and replace, rather than the whole case.
it could also be just a ground loop, this quite often happens with laptop power supplies, in which case you could just buy a ground-lifter, theyre arent expensive. you can test this by removing the ground wire from the plug, and switching it back on, but dont touch anything !!
(of course depends on whether its a moulded plug or not.)
if it was me, i would cut a moulded plug off and fit a plug which can be opened and leave the ground wire unattached, this isnt a permenant solution but it will prove that its a ground loop, then you can just buy the ground lifter and save sednding your case back.

my cases are not grounded at all, its not necessary, as long as your powersupply is grounded. the only reason sometimes cases are grounded is to reduce interference, but ive never noticed any at all with my rig.

does the case hum with just one module in ?

what kind of mains plug is on the power supply ? is it a US 2-pin or 3-pin

are you sure your PSU is the right voltage for your country ?

are you absolutely sure your audio lead is good ??
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

whoops
crossed posts there,

looks like everything is under control,

what a bad start in the world of modular, youre unlucky mate !

i keep hearing weird stuff about those monorocket cases.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: i keep hearing weird stuff about those monorocket cases.
I think the guy is honest and hardworking, but has not yet perfected his PSU, that's where most people seem to have issues, but I've always seen it mentioned that he did his best to work something out.

I read about one guy with a dodgy busboard on a Monorocket case, and Monorocket paid to repair the modules that were damaged.

I had a dodgy busboard from Modularworld, and the guy offered to send me a new busboard (approx retail value $10)... (though luckily it turned out no modules were broken (thru sheer chance), but I didn't appreciate the insulting level of customer support, as I only found out later on that nothing was damaged and I was facing the possiblity of 100s of pounds of repair costs).
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:
steevio wrote:actually no lets not be saying anything negative ......not constructive
i dont think it's that desctructive to be critical of the guy.

for me, modular isn't about buying every piece of gear you can think of and then making novelty patterns using a $100,000 studio.

Becuase he's high profile it gets a lot of exposure. But the videos of the guys with simple relatively cheap setups doing interesting innovative music with feeling don't get a look in, and it reinforces the idea that modular is just expensive toys, and not functional innovative tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja2wqXnrIY4
i agree,
but still i dont think a production forum is the place to criticise someone's music. i saw another video of him a while back, and he didnt look like a had a clue what he was doing.
I read some interviews with him plus he has posted on Gearslutz and it now sounds like he knows what he is doing. A lot of people hate on him, but he is doing what he loves so we cant knock him for that. Was the video with him the one where he was smoking? I think it was me that posted that in this thread somewhere.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

:lol: Tell me about it.. its a shame he makes great looking cases for a great price. Disappointing but I'm still crossing my fingers that he can fix it.