modular etc etc

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:
steevio wrote:attenuators are essential, and even more important offset generators / polarisers
Definitely. The A-138c is nice polarizing mixer that I use a lot.
yes i use mine all the time, also essential to me the A183-2 - my most numerous and most used modules by far
metaBit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by metaBit »

Steevio, what are some of the things you do with offset generators, attenuators and polarizers?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Has or could somebody do some small examples of analogue FM percussive tones on their modular whenever they get time. I'm a sucker for those type of voices, I'm not into the the using of 808 style pitched toms as melodic insturments but I do like unusual tones of a percussive nature to add and complement a musical passage and act both as a melodic and percussive sound simultaneously.

Analogue FM isn't really something I know much about, I imagine it to be a very hard thing to control but that's from a limited experience, can you pitch something how you want it or is it all just by ear?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

metaBit wrote:Steevio, what are some of the things you do with offset generators, attenuators and polarizers?
offset gens - thousands of uses eg. to add offsets negative and positive to CV values. you could use it to transpose a quantizer, open a filter to a specific point or set the pulse width of a VCO before an LFO modulates it,

attenuator - thousands of uses eg. to vary the amount of LFO used to modulate the above scenario, or reduce a CV level going to or coming from any other module,

polariser - to make an envelope or LFO flip upside down etc..

edit; none of this probably sounds very exciting, but think of it like this, say you want a filter sweep on a sound, if you put an envelope or LFO on it, it will sweep the whole level of the envelope or LFO, but you might only want a very slight sweep and in a particular frequency range, or you might want to only sweep negatively, offset gen / attenuator / polariser gives you full control over your modulations
Last edited by steevio on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

I am one of those many who fell in the Darkenergy trap, i wanted to have a taste of hardware, but more, the analogue sound everyone was talking about, knowing (or trying to convince myself) that i could keep the synth voice and a MIDI interface later on, i took the plunge this way. maybe i wouldn't have done it at all any other way or it would have taken me longer.....so until few months ago i was able at last to start modular, i decided to go for some simple modules, stuffs that could modify the sounds from the dark energy a little. i haven't tasted sequencers yest but i know for sure now that's where i want to go next.

These are the modules i started with (add the doepfer DIY A-100 kit#1):
A-188 Tapped BBD Module
A-136 DIS
A-147 VCLFO
A-149-1 RCV
A-199 SPRV
maybe i'll get rid of this in the future, maybe not, i am discovering things here, very interesting stuff.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

How is the A-199?
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

i have little experience, and the little i have is on computer, plugins and stuff. so i could only compare it to that, for me is very nice module, of course different than reverbs i have used, (in ableton, for example). but i mean in the behavior and the sound is totally something else, the sound it generates has a lot of caracter, it is a bit different from reverb (or what i know a reverb is) i like the space and depth it can add to a sound, the Emph. option is very cool, also the possibility to add external feedback from other sources is great, you can really have different kinds of reverb from one sound just adding feedback from others or even modulation from and LFO (a fast square wave for example is something i was trying once and its crazy).

i dont know if my remarks are of any use or relevant, i am new to this analogue stuff.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:Has or could somebody do some small examples of analogue FM percussive tones on their modular whenever they get time. I'm a sucker for those type of voices, I'm not into the the using of 808 style pitched toms as melodic insturments but I do like unusual tones of a percussive nature to add and complement a musical passage and act both as a melodic and percussive sound simultaneously.

Analogue FM isn't really something I know much about, I imagine it to be a very hard thing to control but that's from a limited experience, can you pitch something how you want it or is it all just by ear?
all the percussion on my videos was done with analogue FM, nothing radical, but that was intentional.