modular synthesis

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:i've been thinking about the Wiard Anti-Oscialltor for oscillators, and also their Borg LPG/filter (instead of the QMMG). It's so hard to find decent audio demos of modular stuff though.

I really love the West Coast designs. It's a ridiculously exciting time for modular stuff right now.
borg filter is next on my list,
but i'm not sure its a good replacement for the QMMG, thats 4 multimodes in one, i find it unreplaceable.

dont worry about the audio demos, theyre all sh!t, just like the trance presets in synths, you would never buy anything if you went by those demos.

the quality of sound and build quality on everything ive bought so far has been excellent, it sounds so much bigger than everthing else out there.
i was a bit worried before i started that it would all sound a bit 'laboratory' and maybe not have the balls, but its massive.

watch out, some of the west coast oscillators are digital, i have only one digital oscillator, and you can tell straight away, i never use it. (wanna buy a doepfer PLL ?)
they might be great for weird experimental noise stuff, but for minimal you dont need them.

probably the best oscillators are the Livewire AFG and the Macbeth, but the latter is outrageously expensive. out of my league.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: borg filter is next on my list,
but i'm not sure its a good replacement for the QMMG, thats 4 multimodes in one, i find it unreplaceable.

dont worry about the audio demos, theyre all sh!t, just like the trance presets in synths, you would never buy anything if you went by those demos.

the quality of sound and build quality on everything ive bought so far has been excellent, it sounds so much bigger than everthing else out there.
i was a bit worried before i started that it would all sound a bit 'laboratory' and maybe not have the balls, but its massive.

watch out, some of the west coast oscillators are digital, i have only one digital oscillator, and you can tell straight away, i never use it. (wanna buy a doepfer PLL ?)
they might be great for weird experimental noise stuff, but for minimal you dont need them.

probably the best oscillators are the Livewire AFG and the Macbeth, but the latter is outrageously expensive. out of my league.
i can't decide whther the Doepfer PLL is the best or the worst thing ever. I think I'll need to read their description a few more time to even start to understand.

I was looking at the AFG, I want something warm and analogue (and reasonably stable) with linear FM and some kind of ability for modulation other than PWM. The Anti-Osc could be it but it seems like it could be too far into experimental aggresive territory.

I was thinking about getting 2 Borgs, according to the designer, all of his modules work best that way. I was thinking that for my set up I'd rather have 2 very interesting filters than 4 decent ones. But also probably the QMMG filters are more than decent.

Also probably a good idea for me to look into some more classic east coast stuff as well, cos it's a very good opportunity to get high quality components in that vein without needing to get a whole new synth.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
steevio wrote: borg filter is next on my list,

i can't decide whther the Doepfer PLL is the best or the worst thing ever. I think I'll need to read their description a few more time to even start to understand.

I was looking at the AFG, I want something warm and analogue (and reasonably stable) with linear FM and some kind of ability for modulation other than PWM. The Anti-Osc could be it but it seems like it could be too far into experimental aggresive territory.

I was thinking about getting 2 Borgs, according to the designer, all of his modules work best that way. I was thinking that for my set up I'd rather have 2 very interesting filters than 4 decent ones. But also probably the QMMG filters are more than decent.

Also probably a good idea for me to look into some more classic east coast stuff as well, cos it's a very good opportunity to get high quality components in that vein without needing to get a whole new synth.
i dont really understand the PLL either, and i cant get it to do much, and i dont like the sound of the digital Osc.
you cant go wrong with the Z3000 for a VCO, and its got the digital readout of the frequency, invaluable for FM, i tune my whole modular up with it. sounds good too.
one tip, dont put all your filters in one basket, you need variety.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Yeah, I'm gonna save up for the Z3000. It's got nothing but good reviews. I've got a discounted a-110 on it's way now that I'll I pair it up with. Those borgs sound real nice. I've got a A-106 multimode and a A-102 lowpass diode that I'll be getting things going with. I could easily go overboard on all the kick ass filters out there.

One module at the top of the list is the uLFO. The demo's I've heard are superb. That and a Maths for sure. At first I was life, wtf does that thing do? But the more I read the documentation and hear demos, it's got endless possibilities.

I'm gonna order a 9u doepfer case when I get paid friday. Gettin close!

Steevio, do the Analog systems modules required some sort of adapter to work in doepfer cases? I'm not sure which case you're using, but I thought I read they need adapters somewhere.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:Yeah, I'm gonna save up for the Z3000. It's got nothing but good reviews. I've got a discounted a-110 on it's way now that I'll I pair it up with. Those borgs sound real nice. I've got a A-106 multimode and a A-102 lowpass diode that I'll be getting things going with. I could easily go overboard on all the kick azz filters out there.

One module at the top of the list is the uLFO. The demo's I've heard are superb. That and a Maths for sure. At first I was life, wtf does that thing do? But the more I read the documentation and hear demos, it's got endless possibilities.

I'm gonna order a 9u doepfer case when I get paid friday. Gettin close!

Steevio, do the Analog systems modules required some sort of adapter to work in doepfer cases? I'm not sure which case you're using, but I thought I read they need adapters somewhere.
ive got the A106-6 its a nice sounding filter for sure.

the maths and uLFO are awesome too, i love the Maths, great for live tweaking.

yes the AS modules need a different connector cable, when you buy from AS ask for the convertor to doepfer cable (it costs extra unfortunately)
if youre buying used, you might have to buy a convertor from AS.
whichever lead you have it must be redstripe down.

i used the DIY kit 1 from doepfer and made my own frame to go in a normal 12U flightcase, out of angled aluminium bought from a DIY store.
cheap and fairly easy if youve got a hacksaw and a power drill.
you can see it on the photo earlier in the thread.
dont buy the DIY kit 2, its well documented as being completely sh!t (the power supply)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

do you have any advice about making the diy patch bay that you have?

(sorry, plundering the steevio archives a bit, ha ha)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:do you have any advice about making the diy patch bay that you have?

(sorry, plundering the steevio archives a bit, ha ha)
my old man made most of it for me, he's an engineer, he made a punch and milled the alloy for me, and i bought the sockets from rapid electronics,
sorry thats not much help
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

cool. i know the process now, it will be possible to it somehow.