Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

just to clarify, i dont care whether he put off the needle or not, it doesnt determine if a set is good or not..

i just thought it's funny as it kind of goes with the image that some people drew..

instead of enjoying ricardo which wasn't in the u.s. for years so many people are complaining.. at least he played some decent tracks according to the videos.. if you catch him at love park or something like that he plays his new promos together with luciano..

those big stage, big festival sets of ricardo doesn't meet high expectations for years now.. he even said in interview that he doesn`t like to play big festivals so much cause he can't play there like he really wants to..

quite enjoying sammy dee's set..
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

ive never seen ricardo play a bad set and ive seen him lots of times. one of few djs ive seen thats played a mind blowing set....i do agree sometimes at these big festivals and certain events he plays more of a 'commercial set'... it seems to me he plays the more underground WTF tracks at the likes of fabric, sunwaves festival or club der vissionnaire.. more thought goes into these sets whereas when he's playing other venues over 2 hours he has more of a care free attitude.

a nice interview with him here where he touches on some of the things talked about in this thread http://www.xlr8r.com/features/2007/10/r ... sacred-art
Last edited by grace anxiety on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

grace anxiety wrote:ive never seen ricardo play a bad set and ive seen him lots of times. one of few djs ive seen thats played a mind blowing set....i do agree sometimes at these big festivals and certain events he plays more of a 'commercial set'... it seems to me he plays the more underground WTF tracks at the likes of fabric, sunwaves festival or club der vissionnaire.. more thought goes into these sets whereas when he's playing other venues over 2 hours he has more of a care free attitude.
i agree, even his commercial sets (lfp, timewarp) are outstanding compared to the other perfomances on those events.. kinda always loved his green & blue sets (he plays for 4 hours there)..

of course on sunwaves he played stuff i will never forget.. but i even chatched him on a cocoon party during sonar with c-rock and cassy and there he again played an amazing unique set..

i tho thought that he is gonna be on his a-game at demf as he was on mutek (at least the reviews of this party with zip were good)..
sad for the people who came a long way and got dissappointed :/
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

s.k. wrote: well i've been playing for 10 years, but for this time the most irritating thing has been one dj talking sh!t about another. excuse me but who the fck are you to say what is acceptable? a resident dj at a club, be it a nice one? go make some music and then talk, but thats not as easy as talking sh!t on a forum.

as far as i'm concerned, ricardo has earned the right to stand there and press the start/stop button whenever he feels like it (yes he does it on purpose, so people like you can talk about how wrong it is).

so you're saying its completely ok for a guy who makes god knows how much a gig, who has been the center of attention in the states for a while, who people have tried to book in the states for years by people who have spent countless hours and dollars trying to make him come and finally get him after tons of bartering, money, and concessions were made for...is completely in the clear for finally showing up to play, and phoning in a completely half-assed, lackluster, technically and musically flawed set...just because he's who he is?

sorry. don't buy it.

if you want to sit by idly and not say anything when someone with that much hullabaloo behind them basically takes a sh!t on the demf, go for it. i'm not that type.
Last edited by cloutier on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

I also know people who have travelled to see him recentely and been a bit dissappointed as expectations were so high. I too thought he would have brought his A game to the DEMF., a pity he didnt. Most of my favourite ricardo sets have been when he has played fabric in london. and when he played a really good set early morning at timewarp 2008. Ive also seen him play more commerical sets at kanna beach club in barcelona and in dublin though they have still been enjoyable sets (maybe not so much if your a bit of a nerd and take the music too seriously)

I havent seen him in a few months now but I go to berlin this summer. Hopefully I can catch him at CDV when he is playing lots of amazing tracks over long periods of time.

I do agree with cloutiers comments above... this shouldnt be excused no matter who he is..
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

I saw Sven and Ricardo at both the festival and the Boat Party. Sven was damn near flawless at the festival. I couldnt believe it. Ricardos set was like some warm up with shitty sound.

ON THE BOAT

Sven was fucking up left and right. He started freaking out when people were taking flash pictures. Sven was on so much drugs, it was unbelievable. He would just take the record off and throw his hands up and stare down the crowd while he proceeded to chew on his own face. It was disgusting and scary. Lucky for him he kept playing some decent tunes, but fuuuuck. He was on another planet. He would hug Dubfire for like 15 minutes then turn around only to find out his track is only 13 minutes long. Seriously it was fucked. Dubfire kept checking the mixer and adjusting the eq. Everytime Sven turned around to look for a record or do a hugathon, DUbfire would come to our rescue and turn the bass down or up...whatever Sven forgot to do. Ricardo was alot better on the boat. He was getting ripped too but not like Sven. Ricardo was ok on the boat. Nothing too exciting. He fucked up alot too but again not like Sven.
signatures suck
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

Stacey Pullen was the sh!t!

Carl Craig blew my mind.

Green Velvet knocked it!

Sven at the festival was pretty damn amazing.

Cassy was doing her thing.

Gotta give props to Cassy, Dubfire, and MArgaret Dygas for managing to stay sober while the Insane Clown Posse was fucking sh!t up.
signatures suck