number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

victorgonzales wrote: Since you havent sold tons of vinyl youll have to go through a distributor and they take a minimum of 30 percent of your sales on top of beatports cut.

:shock: 30%!!!!! i'm guessing beatport take 50% leaving the label and artist 20%. :x
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

not all distributors take 30percent. you can surely get a much better deal
dropout
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dropout »

Really interesting.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

it's possible to negotiate deals directly with beatport to cut out distributors, I know the label I've previously released on did....
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Atheory wrote:not all distributors take 30percent. you can surely get a much better deal
Well the reason Ours takes so much is because they put our releases on about 130 different online stores. But Im seeing it as less important since 80-90 percent of sales come from beatport even with that many stores on.

Maybe when my label has made more money I will try and negotiate with beatport but it really was the only way to get on there. They are even turning down some big labels at the moment.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

mlexicon wrote:60/40

beatport is the best out there, and with that comes the fck you of taking 40% of the sales, i think theyre deserving, but damn 40%....should be like 25%
There's better deals than that one for sure (with Beatport) :wink:
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

::BLM:: wrote: There is money to be made from digital releases. My latest one did 1000 downloads and it didn't get into the top 10. The way FOF see things is the digital side of thing normally pays for the remix, but vinyl is there as the main format and as my preferred format to release on. If you can get in contact with Beatport and set up a deal so its exclusive to them they will do there hardest to put your releases in the 'recommended' section as well as having big banner supports on the main page, which will obviously do wonders for your sales.
That sounds very very strange to me, sorry to say.

No expenses, except a cheap mastering for digital files, and then you say there's no earnings when selling 1000 downloads?

Expenses
Mastering 4 tracks for digital = 100 euro maybe less

Income from 1000 downloads
1000 x 2 euro = 2000 Euro (even more if you have an exclusive deal with Beatport where the first/first 2 months are 2.5)
Shop takes somewhere between 30-40%
Which means there's at least 1000 Euro left...

That's way better than most of our vinyl releases....

From my experience you have to sell somewhere between 250-450 downloads per track per week/10 days to stay in the top 10 of a specific genre (it depends on the genre though of course)...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yep Patrick is right. I go through Intergroove so its a little bit different, but I know of other labels where Beatport takes less then 40%.

If I were you Victor I would sack off the other download sites and go exclusive to Beatport. 90% of our sales are from Beatport and if you go exclusive at least Beatport then show an interest in your label and put it in the featured label sections which obviously is going to promote your label. Maybe best to get your distro to contact them though.