Re: electronic soul

Post by oblioblioblio »

nice music ya spamming bastard! :)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

eggnchips wrote: It's got more soul than James Brown if you ask me.
it's nice but seriously? Without James Brown's innovations we wouldn't even have techno.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

oblioblioblio wrote:nice music ya spamming bastard! :)
:lol:

All of Leftism album is a great example of electronic soul. I'm still influenced by it now.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I've been reading about Sun Ra... he would have a thing to say on this thread that's for sure. It's pretty dangerous stuff to throw around to say about the holy aspects of music, but in some ways that is what is underneath all this. I like what I know of Sun Ra's work, because as far out as it is, all his ideas seem to relate to very grounded things: the recognition of struggle, and the belief in a better world. Whatever belief system you adhere to, music is a language that can express very deep things.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I think most people would describe any track that strikes a chord with certain emotions as soulful, being it an eerie, sad, joyful etc.
With electronic music especially, I would say that the bassline plays a huge part in the soulfulness of a track. You know if the baseline glides along nicely, that's when people would already think of it as soulful without really knowing why. Of course, the drums help too with groove playing a huge part.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

eggnchips wrote:I think most people would describe any track that strikes a chord with certain emotions as soulful, being it an eerie, sad, joyful etc.
With electronic music especially, I would say that the bassline plays a huge part in the soulfulness of a track. You know if the baseline glides along nicely, that's when people would already think of it as soulful without really knowing why. Of course, the drums help too with groove playing a huge part.
I think of it as the over all tonality. Things like tempo/energy and scales have a lot to do with how I interepret soul. But I'm not really sure how much drums and bass have to do with it...
I think of soul as being a bit catchy without being cheesy.. its a really hard thing to explain. But I guess I could point out what track has it and what track doesn't.
Maybe its a completely personal thing, 'soul is in the heart' kinda thing.

Another example to me is like analogue synths have soul, virtual analogues sound pretty souless or clinical. Its a really hard thing to pin point, but we all know its there..
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

lem wrote: Things like tempo/energy and scales have a lot to do with how I interepret soul. But I'm not really sure how much drums and bass have to do with it...
Drums and bass has a lot to do with the soulfulness of music. Of course we probably have different definitions of soulful music, but all you have to do is listen to the music genre termed 'Soul' to notice how much of an important part the bass and drums are (of course with other elements).

tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i agree with eggs. the thing with bass is you can physically feel it, it vibrates through your body and touches your soul.