- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: make music then what...?

Post by hydrogen »

NoAffiliation wrote:
luco wrote:
if i put it it on soundcloud would labels still want it ?
don't do that. it will perceptually devalue the work and your image. once you get known then you can put random unreleased stuff on soundcloud and it will increase your worth
You can horde your work all you want but if you don't get it into peoples ears there it will only serve you.

Soundcloud is a great way to get out of that... Its a great feeling sharing music with friends there in a public space. Also, you don't have to make all your tracks public or downloadable. Consider it another outlet for music.

Also, i recommend watching the movie "The Harder They Come", there are some gems in there which describe how the record industry really works.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

NoAffiliation wrote:
kivetros wrote:
ray parry wrote:be happy.
This.

Make music because you love making music. Put it on SoundCloud so that you can share it with others and get feedback.

But don't ever make music for any reason other than the fact that you enjoy making music. Don't make music to "get signed", for fame, for fortune... those things in and of themselves are meaningless and unfulfilling.

-K
I kind of disagree with this. I agree with the ideals but usually the artistic drive comes from wanting to be the best at something. that's what pushes this whole thing forward. sure writing music is fulfilling in itself but the real gratification comes from other people liking it. the more people that like it the more success and the more gratification.
But I can guarantee you that I am never going to be the best. I am 21, married, I work full time, and I am in college. I am only marginally talented at this stuff, and I am probably never going to get anywhere with it... so I have had to (more or less) convince myself that I will be happy with just being able to create.

Sometimes, I wish that I could make it into something more. Sometimes, I feel like I might have missed my calling. Sometimes, I lay awake in bed at night and wish that I could follow my dreams... but it probably isn't going to happen.

But that's just me.

-K
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

luco wrote:
i make music not a writer i, ther label means sh!t to me, fukin derps (u hear me label owners) DERPS
so i'm a derp, but how about the thousands of derps who send me spam demos in an email, without even a 'hey steevio' at the top, with files i have to download on my slow internet connection if i want to hear them, can you guess howmany of those i've ever listened to ?

if there are no labels out there you respect, then you have to do it yourself, simple as.

'getting signed' is a strange way to look at succeeding in underground dance music.
i know hundreds of label owners, and far from being derps they are usually very astute, intelligent people who release the music they like, no matter who you are.
the only way to succeed is to make quality music that people want to hear, the system couldnt be simpler.

when i look for music for my label, i have to absolutely believe in that music, hear something in it i havent heard before, i have to think the artist is a fucking genius, and this is one of the reasons i hardly release anything at all, because i just dont hear it. what i mostly hear is clones of successful contemporaries, or past innovators.

if you want to succeed, make some good music, thats the hardest part, the rest will fall into place.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

luco wrote: i was once told that in music u dont have to do everything if your better at mixoloygy for example then why compose???? can u answer me this???
If you're getting at what I think then that's a bad idea, there's already far too much well-mixed but vapid dance music out there.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

steevio wrote:
luco wrote:
i make music not a writer i, ther label means sh!t to me, fukin derps (u hear me label owners) DERPS
so i'm a derp, but how about the thousands of derps who send me spam demos in an email, without even a 'hey steevio' at the top, with files i have to download on my slow internet connection if i want to hear them, can you guess howmany of those i've ever listened to ?

if there are no labels out there you respect, then you have to do it yourself, simple as.

'getting signed' is a strange way to look at succeeding in underground dance music.
i know hundreds of label owners, and far from being derps they are usually very astute, intelligent people who release the music they like, no matter who you are.
the only way to succeed is to make quality music that people want to hear, the system couldnt be simpler.

when i look for music for my label, i have to absolutely believe in that music, hear something in it i havent heard before, i have to think the artist is a fcking genius, and this is one of the reasons i hardly release anything at all, because i just dont hear it. what i mostly hear is clones of successful contemporaries, or past innovators.

if you want to succeed, make some good music, thats the hardest part, the rest will fall into place.

+1

if you're not getting signed, your music is prob not quite there yet. Either that or youre being a derp yourself and not knowing how to constuct a simple email to the label owners. good quality music always gets through in the end.
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

ray parry wrote:if you're not getting signed, your music is prob not quite there yet. Either that or youre being a derp yourself and not knowing how to constuct a simple email to the label owners. good quality music always gets through in the end.
Are label owners even interested in listening to demos from people they've never even heard of before, though? I am a nobody. I don't DJ anywhere, my music doesn't have a lot of exposure at all, and I just started getting serious about actual techno this year. Would a label owner even be bothered to open an email from a totally unknown guy like me?

-K
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

kivetros wrote:
ray parry wrote:if you're not getting signed, your music is prob not quite there yet. Either that or youre being a derp yourself and not knowing how to constuct a simple email to the label owners. good quality music always gets through in the end.
Are label owners even interested in listening to demos from people they've never even heard of before, though? I am a nobody. I don't DJ anywhere, my music doesn't have a lot of exposure at all, and I just started getting serious about actual techno this year. Would a label owner even be bothered to open an email from a totally unknown guy like me?

-K
Well they will open the email, because it could be anything. If you just go ahead an plant your tracks in the first email I doubt many will listen, but if you take 5mins to write an email that makes them have to answer a question most of the time they will reply.
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luco »

ray parry wrote:
kivetros wrote:

-K
Well they will open the email, because it could be anything. If you just go ahead an plant your tracks in the first email I doubt many will listen, but if you take 5mins to write an email that makes them have to answer a question most of the time they will reply.

your telling me that a label owner who gets thousands if not millions of demos sent a day that they have the time to even open and read the email and then download a link to the track ? or do u mean put a link to your soundcloud ect???? but how are they going to see the track if its private ????

also do labels just want 100% finished tracks what if the mix for instance needs changing slighty or theres an out of key effect thats just holding the track back from being tepidity cool
Last edited by luco on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.