making kicks

- ask away
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: making kicks

Post by tsankip »

tshhht, this thread isn't safe yet :|

regarding the kick topic, you guys deal with "kick phasing" at all? i've been doing it quite a lot and i'm getting more and more in to it. not sure what the term is, but i'm on about the feeling of having the kick moving around and changing all the time. norm talley pops to mind for some reason... sometimes it's an illusion though...sometimes it could be the tr itself...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I only tried the demo of the EKS, it omits a noise but you can still make and sample a kick off. I didn't find many sweet spots if I remember, just a few areas where i got decent results, I didn't buy it though. The 909 sound is on there as a preset, it sounds similar but lacks something, the plugin is ok but not brilliant but better than most software I know, not microtonic though, that's a lot better imo. I have a Machinedrum but really don't like the kicks on it apart from 1 type so compare everything to that. Abletons Operator is capable of good kicks, really good, there's lots of scope for experimenting but I find it time consuming.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

tsankip wrote:tshhht, this thread isn't safe yet :|

regarding the kick topic, you guys deal with "kick phasing" at all? i've been doing it quite a lot and i'm getting more and more in to it. not sure what the term is, but i'm on about the feeling of having the kick moving around and changing all the time. norm talley pops to mind for some reason... sometimes it's an illusion though...sometimes it could be the tr itself...
Not tried it, what were you using to do this? How do you mean phasing? Automation/lfo?
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Phasing is not the right term I guess, but mostly having accent and another layer/signal/anything under the kick with an lfo changing some parameters or the other layer swinging out of sync or something like that, but like I sayd, it could be an illusion in some cases...when you have the whole track going on and things might appear to you in a different way. It could aswell just be swing that creates this feeling. It's not really necesarry at all, because it hardly has any impact and it's so subtle, but for some reason I really love this feeling and the sound of for example two kicks of the tracks rolling into place when you mix on decks...and on some tracks you kind of have this similar feeling. Really difficult to explain it exactly..maybe I ought to do less drugs :lol:
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

I did alot with phasing kicks. used the sample delay to suck the multiple kicks into eachother.
You can get some nice phreaky kicks out of it.

Tho AK i'm curious how you make a nice pounding kick with the microtonic.
I love this plugin, but somehow i can't get a really nice sustain in the kicks. That's why i got back on the EKS.
Let me know how you solve that!
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

Cool. Yeah.. Find microtonic very quick & good. What more do you need?

Will give the demo an investigation.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

tsankip wrote:Phasing is not the right term I guess, but mostly having accent and another layer/signal/anything under the kick with an lfo changing some parameters or the other layer swinging out of sync or something like that, but like I sayd, it could be an illusion in some cases...when you have the whole track going on and things might appear to you in a different way. It could aswell just be swing that creates this feeling. It's not really necesarry at all, because it hardly has any impact and it's so subtle, but for some reason I really love this feeling and the sound of for example two kicks of the tracks rolling into place when you mix on decks...and on some tracks you kind of have this similar feeling. Really difficult to explain it exactly..maybe I ought to do less drugs :lol:
i make kicks from 3 layers. if i use waldorf attack it usually set by a key so i dont think there is any phasing there.
but if i use nord modular drum module or rob papen punch than the tune is set by frequency so there is a subtle difference in the frequency between the layers which gives subtle phase changes (i also saturate some layers and do subtle modulation with lfo with the nord modular).
i think with punch the wave reset itself each trigger so not sure if theres much changes there.
Stomper, I wouldn't spend a lot of time working on sounds in isolation.
If you are going to change the kick later on, I would just use a sample. Don't waste time on a kick that you are then going to change.
well, problem is that if i use a sample kick to start with than ill make the other sounds to fit to that kick.
i make a kick just to start things off. i know ill change it later on to sit better in the mix. but yeah making it in isolation, even if its just to start things off makes me make some wrong decisions.
usually the kick doesnt have enough presence or has too much, which is why i started this thread (tuning it was never an issue).
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Stomper wrote: usually the kick doesnt have enough presence or has too much, which is why i started this thread (tuning it was never an issue).
so how do you tune your kick in relation to the bass ?

the way i see it, is the kicks presence in the track is directly related to how it sits amongst elements in the same frequency bands, which is mostly the bass, but the attack may be in the range of other elements.
the kick needs to sit in its own space in the spectrum, then its a simple matter of adjusting its volume.

if it doesnt have its own space, then as the other elements move around in the track the kick will be masked and unmasked and the tendency then is to up its volume or attack to make it cut through when its being masked, but of course this usually means its too loud or present when it isnt being masked.

i think the tuning and harmonic content of the kick and bass must be considered as one thing, this is the most important thing to me, everything else falls into place when you get that right.